The White Guy (Gwai Lo)

Discussion in 'Life Art - 寫意人生' started by shinobi, Mar 25, 2007.

1. D'Leone

D'Leone Member

Yhea it was a cool show.-clapclap

2. mzwinnie

mzwinnie Member

his chinese is cool and he has really been in tvb for a long time

3. memster110

memster110 Member

Umm..actually his name is Gregory Charles Rivers. And his made up chinese name is 河國榮. I think he is a good actor, and his chinese is pretty good for someone who isn't chinese.

4. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

My mom just calls him Gwai Lo.

There are more Gwai Lo in TVB now.

We just call em all the same name-Gwai Lo

5. jay

jay Member

I disagree. Actual pretty amazed to see him in different role as usual

6. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

hahahah, yeh the gwai lo always plays the police head role. lol
    hmmm.... anyone got any background info about this gwai lo??
    and did he self taught chinese or...
    but i must say that his canto is goood!!

7. hillary

hillary Active Member

I think you guys are talking about Gregory Ho Kwok Wing aka Gregory Rivers (Ho in cantonese). I guess Life Art is the first that he has a role throughout the series and not just guest appearance.

From wikipedia:

Gregory Charles Rivers (Chinese: 河國榮, Ho Kwok Wing), (born 1965— ) is a Hong Kong actor of Australian heritage.

Growing up in Katoomba (AUSTRALIA), he moved to Hong Kong before finishing his medicine degree at the University of New South Wales. Speaking fluent Cantonese, he is currently a TVB actor. Practically every major character who is a foreigner (no matter whether a French or English man) in TVB dramas is played by him. He has also appeared on stage, as protagonist, in 2005.

His Chinese name is made up of the Chinese equivalent of his surname Rivers (河) and the name of his idol Leslie Cheung Kwok Wing (張國榮).

He is an active member of the Mac circle in Hong Kong, and a popular blogger.

In real life, Rivers has not divulged why he is so interested in learning the Cantonese language.

8. hillary

hillary Active Member

9. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes is good to see that people can learn our language and adapt which means we can do the same if we put our hearts to it.

10. ymk

ymk Active Member

man he is funny, not bad at canto too.lol

11. gday

gday Well-Known Member

wow he is soooo smart! he from ausstralia. cool! i rekon his acting is pretty cool better than alota 'asians' that were born outside australia