Vietnam and Chinese

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by VietBoi, Feb 16, 2006.

1. ministarz

ministarz Active Member

I believe chinese and vietnamese can get along. Not all the viet guys are gangster type. Some of the viet guys know are quite decent.

2. ministarz

ministarz Active Member

I also agree with what some of you people are saying about the 'arrogant behaviour' and the 'show off attitude' of the vietnamese since my mum has a lot of those friends.

3. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

every race has those gangster type as well as those "nerdy geeky" types

4. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

every nation has it´s own bad guys,... wether to call them mafiosi, yakuza, triads, thugs, gangsters,... troublemakers are troublemakers,... dunno what´s it about with this vietnamese-chinese relation though

5. puccaluv83

puccaluv83 Active Member

Vietnam was occupied by CHian for thousand year.. so all the Culture was adopt from China.. that y a lot of chinese in VIetnam and a lot of them knew Chinese b4 .. getting lesss ppl know chiense in china now.. but then French took over.. n then Viet cong took over

6. Vina

Vina Member

LOL go read your history book. that is not the reason why there is chinese in Vietnam lol

7. chickensoup

chickensoup Member

the language is adapted from chinese, they create a new language from that

8. Darkii

Darkii Member

Hmm im not sure about dates but i remember my dad telling me that before some chinese came to vietnam to live and work. After years of being there the chinese and viet people started to mix, thats why we have a few viet/chinese mixes these days.

I think that in the past viet writing used symbols like chinese, but something happened, so they changed it to the latin format of writing.

These are just stories told by my grandparents / parents so im not 100% sure they are correct.

9. shev

shev Member

Vietnam is located at the "cross road" of SE Asia, so we have imported many cultural elements from Sina, Jap, and also India. But not as u'r thinking. We have our own culture. Some thing you can not find in any country in the world except Vietnam. Come with us, and U'll believe wat i said.

Long before, Vietnamese using Sino's character for writing (it called "chu Han Viet"), but we don't speak the same language with sino. Now we're using "chu Quoc Ngu". In fact, it not based on the French. It was created by the Portuguese priest name "Alexan De Rhodes", based on the Latin (there is a street called "Alexan De Rhodes" in Ho Chi Minh city, near Notre Dame). A lot of viet/chineses live in 5th district (a kind of "China town"), they are very good trader. We call them "nguoi Hoa" :D

#69 shev, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  10. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

some vietnamese words pronounced like chinese

11. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

don't blame all the vietnamese. not all of viet are bad

12. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

History

All of you need histrory lessons back to at least 2000 years ago. Here is a short note, even the so called Vietnamese did not even have the area of Vietnam on map which you read today. Before the Han Dynasty there was the Qin Dynasty which was the one that destroyed most of the cultures and languages that had existed in the Middle Kingdom. Before that time you will also learn that pockets of civilisations dotted all over Asia and Central Asia and many languages had existed. Even in Vietnam today there are 54 ethnic minority groups which have been pushed out to the isolated remote areas of Vietnam. Work is still underway to relate the many languages to genetics. Evidence today shows that there is much genetic connections between people all over South East Asia, not dissimilar to what you would find in Europe. A bit more on the language of Sino-Vietnamese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese ( which is a sub-branch of Sino-Tibetan language). Therefore all of you need to understand that before the modern maps and countries came into being the people all over South Asia were mixed and then separated repeatedly.

HISTORY
    Vietnam's identity has been shaped by long-running conflicts, both internally and with foreign forces. In 111 BC, China's Han dynasty conquered northern Vietnam's Red River Delta and the ancestors of today's Vietnamese. Chinese dynasties ruled Vietnam for the next 1,000 years, inculcating it with Confucian ideas and political culture. In 939 AD, Vietnam achieved independence under a native dynasty. After 1471, when Vietnam conquered the Champa Kingdom in what is now central Vietnam, the Vietnamese moved gradually southward, finally reaching the rich Mekong Delta, encountering there earlier settled Cham and Cambodians. While Vietnam's emperors reigned ineffectually, powerful northern and southern families fought civil wars in the 17th and 18th centuries.

French Rule and the Anti-Colonial Struggle
    In 1858, the French began their conquest of Vietnam starting in the south. They annexed all of Vietnam in 1885, but allowed Vietnam's emperors to continue to reign, although not actually to rule. In the early 20th century, French-educated Vietnamese intellectuals organized nationalist and communist-nationalist anti-colonial movements.

13. Puhee

Puhee Active Member

It is my experience that inner city Vietnamese think they are all gangsta. They don't necessarily have to be from the projects. If you go out to clubs and bars you always see them walking in crews. Its kinda lame because they talk so much $h1t just becuase they go everywhere with 20 people.

14. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

language

People don't get the definition of language, script notation (romantisation using alphabets like accented a,b,c...z. ) and words borrowed from foreign languages. Han Viet (formal) and Chu Nom (informal) were the language used. The Portugese and French did not provide the language, they assisted the romantisation of the language so that the process of learning to speak could be simplified, exactly the same as that done for Chinese, Korean and Japanese where tonal/sound notation is an easier system to learn than to learn every single word the hard way. These people played no part in the language making process. It is quite sad that pictogram language lost way to phonetic languages. You will begin to understand the value of painting and poems or indeed anything artistic and creative when a pictorial language is used. (E.g. You can literally see visually a poem about birds filled with words that look like birds, trees and the landscape!)
    I would not if I were you state the words ""chu Quoc Ngu was created by ...". That Portugese did NOTHING about creation. He brought along with him the knowledge of the roman alphabet and the portugese in their notation has added accents to the letters as did the French. The romantisation of the Vietnamese was for the benefit of the Portugese missionaries as they found it hard to learn. You can imagine that someone who was assigned over there in those days. It would have taken 3 months to get to Vietnam from Portugal and then 5 years before he could gain enough proficiency in Han Viet and chu nom. So you can imagine the productivity of the early missionaries was very very low. Therefore the introduction of a alphabet phonetic system was for their own productivity and was not intended for local use initially. However as work progressed with Portugese/Vietnamese plus importation of printers that had a limited capacity to hold a limited number of dyes soon saw the benefit of using a limited number of letters for efficiency and productivity by the Vietnamese. It was by choice that the Vietnamese liked the alphabet system and had nothing to do with the Protugese and French bringing or creating language and words for the Vietnamese. Those of us who use the greek letters (alpha, beta , gamma...) for mathematical calculation will know that its use is purely for notational reason and efficiency as short hand and has nothing to do with language itself. The reason why that they had added accents was that they had sounds slightly different from the Latin language. Rather than adding more alphabets which can get too cumbersome they had added accents. But the addition of accents to the Han words were already in existence as that was how the early Viets had used the Hanji. Therefore it was natural for the early Viets to add further accents to the Roman alphabet to represent sounds that could not be expressed with the normal alphabets. As to the actual work to map all Han Viet and Chu Nom to the extended set of roman letters that was the work of the local Vietnamese people. What did the Portugese and French knew about the Vietnamese language they learnt from the Vietnamese.

#74 surplusletterbox, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  15. ben k

ben k New Member

well, i think you best bet is to google or wikipedia. Forum discussion won't answer your loosely put question.

16. AnnieS

AnnieS Active Member

I think Vietnamese & Chinese can get well belong each other, I see many of my friends that their mom/dad is Chinese, and the other is Vietnamese. Vietnamese adapted some Chinese traditions, food....but Chinese also adapted some of Vietnamese too.

17. khaz0r

khaz0r Member

yeh in the vietnamese history books, vietnam was like china thousands of years ago. I don't think they were ONE, but they shared similar cultures, and many wars were fought AFAIK.

18. wai_mi

wai_mi New Member

can you speak vietnamese?

19. benjwang

benjwang Well-Known Member

lets just say majority of the oversear vietnanmese have some kind of chiense blood in them..

20. laziboi

laziboi Well-Known Member

im chinese but i been hanging around with viets all my life. 98% of my friends are viet. some people think im viet probably cause i dress like one.