Visiting Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by brucyy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i'll be your tour guide :shifty:

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

LOL... Listen, I've gotten lost there myself on multiple occasions, so I may not be the best person to bird dog anyone. Any experience I have from there was definitely hard earned. -rolleyes

3. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

^ i was wondering the same thing ..

@ ralph .. i don't know but i always stay the exec suite in one of the hotels in causebay place and they're pretty cleaned and safe .. yeah you're right .. i don't live at anywhere below 4 stars.:) expensive yes .. but i think those two things are worth the spending.

4. ralphrepo

Yeah, I feel the same way; when I'm on vacation, I want to be insulated from the the daily BS and mundane hassles. It may cost me a little more, but damn, it sure is worth it. Maybe that's why rich folks act the way they do, eh? LOL...

5. BowlOfNoodles

BowlOfNoodles Member

4 Stars and up are definitely worth the extra money, everything just feels so much more comfortable and able to use the hotels steam/sauna for free is the best! Go every night.

6. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Thats easy for you to say if you got the £££

7. negiqboyz

^ everyone's situation is different. saving by living at the hostel or whatever when you're single but when you're married and have kids .. cleanness and safety come first. sometimes, it's not about being wealthy or not .. gotta pay for whatever it's necessary. i stay at 4 stars and above not cuz i am rich .. still working my ass off .. lol

8. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

^ why not they hotels that hires out apartments rahter than just rooms? so its more comfortable and dont always need to go out and eat, can always stay in and cook and kinda half make u feel at home too

9. ralphrepo

Sure, they have them. They're called suites, which are mini-apartments. The hotel usually charges a lot more for them.

10. BowlOfNoodles

BowlOfNoodles Member

Check with traveling agencies they usually have deals with airfare and hotels and it's usually not that much more to upgrade to a 4star or higher. Also when traveling I wouldn't really want to cook unless you plan to stay there for more than a week or two.

11. negiqboyz

cooking .. NO WAY .. that's the last thing i wanna do on vacation .. you gotta clean up and shit .. yuck .. no no no no .. lol

12. bbgirlsum

Maybe HK is a lot more expensive on those then, coz when i went to Shanghai with the family it was acceptably cheap and it was genuinely livable (i mean like its not 4* or anythign liek that, it had all the basic, it was clean, tidy and what not..) and the fact my dad is a cheapscape... lol

@ negi - maybe not the cooking but still a lot more room and space for the comfort like your own home rahter being stuck in one room right? and the fact even when you are not out jsut yet your kid has the space to crawl around and play...

13. ralphrepo

I suspect that you're also talking about the Serviced Apartments (aka Hotel Styled Apartments). These are generally much more economical over regular hotels, and many in fact, seem to be exactly like hotels unless you look for the frills (sauna, pool, buffet restaurant, gym, et cetera; which these places usually don't have). Since they eschew the extras, they don't need to charge the overhead for them and the rooms become cheaper. Further, their rentals usually go for minimum of at least a month, so their revenue stream is subject to less daily fluctuation. It's a good choice for those traveling on a budget with a family, but need an extended HK accommodation.

At Negiqboyz; cooking isn't a must, but having a stove for simple things like coffee in the morning, or a late night snack (like instant noodles) can be a life saver. I'm not imagining any real gourmet adventures mind you. Just a place to generate heat for basic stuff. Even more important is having a strong microwave and a large enough fridge in the room. Most places now even offer high speed net access but will charge you extra. That way, you can tell the PA forum folks how your vacation is going, LOL...

14. bbgirlsum

^ i think that is what i'm talking about lol
    but yes there are no other amenities apart from the actual apartments, all there is is TV in the apartment and the kitchen lol
    but why need an extended HK accommodation? i mean like not all of these types of hotels needs the minimum of a month staying, maybe a fortnight coz that is reasonably long enough too... :S

15. ralphrepo

True, but I think they're geared towards the month long vacationer. Some do take people for per diem but their business model is focused on the former. Dang, all this talk is making me yearn for another vacation. I've got about 12 weeks time in the bank and if I don't start using some, I may begin to forfeit a part of it. But Mrs Ralph would be loathe to let me travel to HK myself. Without her home cooking, so to speak, she's afraid I may develop a taste for Northern Mushrooms, LOL... -^_^

16. bbgirlsum

lol don't have to spend your bank on holidays far away, maybe somewhere nearby worth going to?
    lol the Northern Shrooms my mum never feared of when my dad goes to HK himself, they alawys have to split going to HK at separate times coz of the family business.Can always go somewhere like the carribean or the Mediteranean Islands :) even a cruise lol

17. negiqboyz

hey ralph .. how about going to mountain climbing in Asia .. i've never done that there .. it should be fun .. lol

as for kitchen .. not important to me really, all i need or gotta have in the room is the fridge.

coffee or late snack .. that's what room service is for .. i don't like cleaning up.

18. bbgirlsum

^ that's what your wife is there for? lol........ thought you were the traditional guy of having the wifey to clean up? :p

19. negiqboyz

i am a traditional guy but i LOVE my wife and family .. ok ..

Home chores are meant for HOME .. not vacation. Haven't you heard .. happy wife is a happy life .. :smile:

20. bbgirlsum

^ haha of course it's true that a happy wife is a happy life

i mean you have to do some sort of chores whilst you are on holiday. i guess the fact thati do you may think it's weird, i cook like once in a blue moon, tidy up and even wash my clothes when im on holiday lol