Visiting Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by brucyy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Which reminds me, I forgot to take the clothes out of my washing machine

2. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

believe it or not .. depending on where i go for vacation (not work), i usually don't carry luggages .. like when i go back to vn or philly or thai, i just buy clothes there ..lol after, i just have the laundry service wash and donate it.

not sure about kids though .. they do make a mess and gotta clean them .. but i suspect we will have the room service do that too or change room ... lol

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I'm not much into the physical outdoorsy stuff anymore, so mountain climbing is way beyond my ken. Insofar as Asia is concerned however, the only place I know of worth doing that is in Nepal, but that's serious expert professional effort. That said, when Chinese in HK talk about "walk mountain" what they mean is to go hiking in the hills surrounding HK. There are some pretty good trails there and require a hiker to be in fairly decent shape before attempting.

As for luggage, I buy my luggage just before I leave HK. That is, I go with almost nothing and buy enough luggage just to bring back whatever I had bought while in HK. I bought about 400 DVD's VCD's the last time I was there, and the aggregate weight of those things is incredible. Note: the airlines have gotten really cheap with weight allowances, and excess weight is getting more and more expensive. Check with the carrier beforehand to find out where you stand, or else you can be looking at a few unexpected hundred dollars more expense at the counter. If that is the case, it may be cheaper to commercial freight some things, allowing it to arrive after you get settled back home. I know people who have bought furniture this way.

One year, I got off lucky and shipped about 400 lbs worth of ceramics and other assorted HK vacation shopping via my brothers' household goods. He was then leaving a job in HK and going back to the US; his company paid to ship all of his personal belongings free so I just piggybacked my stuff into his HK apt. When the movers came, my stuff went along with his. After it arrived in NY, it took about 3 trips to get everything back from his place (where everything was delivered), but it was worth the savings. -innocent2

As for doing laundry, I remember one trip to Shanghai; to avoid washing underwear, we wore disposables. Paper underwear that you took off and threw into the trash.

4. Tofudge

Tofudge Member

wow, cool paper underwear. Was is comfortable? Sounds a lot like diapers to me. :)

5. negiqboyz

@ralph .. 400 DVD .. are you selling them or what?? I am surprised they let you bring tall those through custom .. I used to collect CDs but I donated them all ever since Ipod.

Are you into those antique and ancient pottery too? I know there are a lot of beautiful ones in VN and Philly but I don't know how to tell if things are real or fake...lol

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Just felt like putting on a paper towel. After it was on, I didn't even think of it any further... :yes:

Mostly VCDs of old Chinese movies, some US films, and some HK television series. As for the ceramics, mostly flower pots for Bonsai plants (I was really into them for about 15 years, but gradually over time, gave them all away as my interest waned). However, some of the flower pots are so beautiful that they can sit alone as objects of art, or decorative pieces around the house. -bigsmiles

7. negiqboyz

^ still .. that's alot of vcd ... surprised custom let you passed without incidence.

bonsai plants .. wow .. that's nice but they're quite pricy ..

8. Paranoidandroid

Paranoidandroid Well-Known Member

nope, it's a new service. the best part is that no tip required! i tipped the guy once and he didn't accept it, so i just put it in his hand. not used to not tipping -bigsmiles

9. Autumn

Autumn Member

any good thing in hong kong?

10. gianglin

gianglin Member

I took a ship from Macau to Hong Kong Kowloon. Forgot the number of hours. It was my first time being there. It seems to me like a different world than usa. Every where is full of people. At night is light everywhere in main street. Mall is packed. It was a good experience being there.