What camera should I get?

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Artwork Section' started by spider-man, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Crystal84

Crystal84 Well-Known Member

@BestOffer: Damn it!!! So now you got an amazing lens AND an amazing camera body...I wonder how good the photos get, you already put a pretty high standard with your old body.

2. Thanks for helping me make a choice guys. Got myself a D5100!

3. Crystal84

Congratulations ... have fun with it.

4. burpyierz

burpyierz Well-Known Member

he is doing the video in Sai Kung !!!!! I live there when I go to HK :D

5. Sweeeeet. Just tested my D5100 with old school lenses for F-series film SLRs, and they work!!! (albeit manual exposure only lol)

Now, for the low price of hand-me- downs, I've got:

1) 50mm f1.8
    2) 35-105mm f3.5-4.5
    3) 80-200mm f4.5

6. Crystal84

Don't you thing the 50 1.8 is a bit long? When I had that lens I thought it was too long, that's why I went for a 35 1.8.

7. Hey, can't complain if it's free LOL. It's a Nikon series-E lens from the f-series camera era. It belonged to my dad who's not using them anymore. Might as well put them to use lol.

I would like a 35mm f1.8 though. But once I know what I'm doing, I'll buy it later lol.

#67 Dan, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  8. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Get first, figure out later! :D lol

The 35mm f1.8 lens stays on my D5000 pretty much all the time though I only have the kit lens and a zoom lens.

9. Hahaha okay buddy lol. That's recipe for bankruptcy lol.

But I'm actually getting much more comfortable with these old school lenses, despite the fact that they don't have auto-focus nor metering, which doesn't matter to me too much at this stage. Plus, these old lenses cover the type of photography I hope to do, so why pay more? :p

I guess I should reword my answer from earlier. I suppose I should be using the 35mm with DSLRs instead of the 50mm in order to get the human eye field of view, but if my understanding is correct the 50mm on a cropped sensor still works well, like the one my D5100 has.

But is it not true that the 50mm offers a more "correct" image? Doesn't the 35mm prime have a very minor fisheye-like distortion due to the wider angle? Or are these effects only prominent in film SLRs?

#69 Dan, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  10. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

11. reno

reno Well-Known Member

it's been a while, but bit the bullet to replace my old nikon dslr with a mirrorless a7ii
    ff goodness and fun

12. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

What's interesting about these tech threads is that in two years (the time of the last post) so much has changed that the field is literally wide open, and that's actually a very good thing ;)

13. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Yeah, the technology sure progress fast in tech... Seems like a lot more mirrorless are the popular choices among consumers and some pros.