What causes white hair?

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by jill85, Apr 19, 2006.

1. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Thats generally the reason. If you ask anyone with white hair, with the exception of old people they'll tell you that they don't sleep enough which also relates to stress.

2. vvyn

vvyn Member

The males in my family have bundles of white hair sprouting at a young age. In their case, it's just heriditary.

3. sn00py

sn00py Well-Known Member

I guess stress/worries too much cause white hair. Women digs guys with white hair since they looks more matured. ;-)

4. jnetcube5

jnetcube5 Well-Known Member

could possibly be genetics.

5. crakhed

crakhed Member

stress, aging, genetics

6. we all know stress causes white hair

but the question should be, WHY does stress cause white hair.

i learned this before but i forgot. i am not 100% sure, but i think it has to do with the level of pigmentation the body injects into the hair that gives the hair color.

as you get stressed, there is less of that substance, whatever it is, thus resulting in white hair.

but it is not just exceptional to stress. some other activities have resulted in white hair.

7. melroseddl1

melroseddl1 Well-Known Member

Look in an Antomy book. its something that deals with a type of blood and that the old u are, the type of blood is decrease, which cause the hair to become white. That explains how other can get white hiar. its becaus eof that blood that we have, but i forgot whats it called, that prevent us from getting white hair. Stress is not a cause, its just a factor.

8. brandonleow

brandonleow New Member

i'm 17 now and i have loads of white hair... i started to have them when i was 9.. lol...

9. dumpling520

dumpling520 New Member

Just three simple things you need to know. Age, Stress, and genetics. the first two is pretty commonly known, the last is also true, but hardly known.

10. Lilydream

Lilydream Well-Known Member

because u think too much...and then u stress ..an then ur hair take this nice color

11. _Nightwish_

_Nightwish_ Well-Known Member

well i go with the crowd here.....stress =)

12. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

I heard thinkers have a big thing with white hair... but then i knwo a friend who dont have any stress nor thinks alot.... yea he a pot head... but then he got more white hair then all of my uncles and he is only 20 years old..

13. pingpong

pingpong Well-Known Member

I think that stress and when you're thinking too much causes white hair. I had a friend in grade 7 who had almost half his hair going white...he was very smart though...guess he used his brain a lot

14. lnyczxubinl

lnyczxubinl Member

when you put a certain type of protein lotion in the hair for style

15. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

apparently chinese people have more white hair cos our hair are black... and its easily spot that if we have white hair. lol

16. xxsweetheartxx

xxsweetheartxx Well-Known Member

I think stress is what causes it, my grandma is close to 70 and she only has a very few white hair, she lives a carefree life. and sometimes having white hair when you're at a young age is genetic, can't change that.

17. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

stress definitely causes white hair. Getting white hair when your still young is something genetic also. There are alot of factors, but those are two major ones.

18. .Cameron

.Cameron Well-Known Member

My lil' cousin... -.-'

Or is that an indirect cause?

19. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

^ i think that's just genetic.

20. ahcow2

ahcow2 Active Member

Gray hair is typically a result of natural aging. Pigment in the hair shaft comes from special cells at the root (base) of the hair. These cells are genetically programmed to make a certain amount of pigment (melanin) at specific ages. At some point in the aging process, these cells make less and less pigment until the hair has very little pigment. White hair has no pigment, and gray hair has some but not as much as a red, black or brown hair.

Not all hairs respond in the same way or at the same time. So the graying process usually is gradual. You can't prevent graying. Some people start graying in their 30s, and some not until their 60s. Genetics likely play a strong role in graying.

People rarely go gray overnight. If they do, it's typically due to alopecia areata. This condition causes the thicker, darker hairs to stop growing before it affects the growth of gray hairs — giving the impression of graying overnight. Alopecia areata eventually causes roundish patches of hair loss or complete loss of hair on the head or body. Its cause isn't known.