What would it take for you to believe in God

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by master_g, May 6, 2007.

1. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

i dont know if its been clarified in this thread yet or not, but humans did not evolve from monkeys, humans evolved from a species of primate that is a common ancestor to both the homo sapien and the modern day monkey.

2. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

yea i guess humans evolved from "lucy"....or is there an older one.

3. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

1.Some proofs are valid and some are not, then which one to go for?

2.Do you have any outstanding bad habits that ppl complain about you and that you havent changed?

I fail to see your implications in this? Are you trying to say that when you go to war, you should be Terminator and wipe out opposition yourself?

4. BigC

BigC Well-Known Member

^^ Sorry about that, I was just trying to break the ice. It's just that whenever there is this type of thread instead of people listening to other peoples opinion everyone gets so defensive about their beliefs that no one is really paying attention to what others have to say. It's like being in a classroom with a bunch of people talking at the same time and no one is really listening to any other person but themselves. Sorry to go off topic but can't we all just get along and talk in a civil manner without getting so defensive?

5. 1 . better then "god did it" i would rather go around and find a more logical explanation that makes some kinda sense in my book and even if there may not be proof for it now i just can't take god for an answer, its like saying my imaginary best friend did it and really believing so.

2. i just said i can do all this without god

3. you missed vintages point but i can already see what the counter is going to be =p its just an example.

6. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

You have a very good point here. :)

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and if they prefer a particular one, its all good as long as they are happy with it.

7. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

Dude you should lurk around here more often. That was what I used to do.. but apparently some obsessive members try to shove their beliefs down under people's throats and can't take differing opinions.
    If you checked some of the old threads, you should know what I was talking about. :p
    As far as it goes, I will only go defensive (AND OFFENSIVE) if someone belittles my beliefs. I give respect where it is due.

8. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I am sure I can convince myself that my divine salt shaker took away all my negative emotions and replace them with happy thoughts, if only I try hard enough.

I have negative thoughts partially because I like them, feeling depressed is part of what make me feel alive, plus, if someone is always happy, the happiness is less treasured (but that's another long discussion on that)

You just have to accept my divine salt shaker in order to allow it to love you! To borrow someone's line: "you just have to keep an open mind and learn more about my divine salt shaker!"

/sarcasm + serious

You cannot say God "works" every time. How many times did I encountered religious friends who said "an obstacle/disappointment is a challenge God gave me"? More than I can count (and that is part of what I call "attribute everything good to God, and everything bad with God's challenge or Satan's evil work") It's just a challenge the divine salt shaker pose to test your faith!

I don't know about the keeping a diary part, because I am not one who do it. But I am quite certain that it gave those who do it a sense or relief, otherwise, wouldn't they switch teams, like 15 years ago?

How about Pig is another lineage which had retained the organs while Chimps retained the physical morphology? In fact, genetically, human is closer to a pig than a chimp.

In fact, I don't think I would say "nature did", because nature didn't actively do it, nature gave the backdrop to which evolution takes place (the two are different, I can elaborate if you need). Necessity in life and survival maintained a healthy level of mutation and in turn, possible chance of evolution.

I hold the motto that "if you can't say it nicely, don't say it at all", so I will shut up in replying to this particular quote because I am certain I will offend if I do.

9. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Like who? If you are referring to me, dont worry about it. :)

10. hiake

Well, I didn't think you will but unfortunately there may be others who may/would... So let's just leave it at that...

11. hmm... beef in here eh....

i have a question to Christians...

you say non-believers will go to Hell... now, do you believe that there is a remotely small possibility that those beliefs are false? im not claiming to judge whether they are right or wrong, im just asking if you believe there is a possibility if your beliefs are wrong?

well, i believe that theres a probability that anything i believe in can be false. so be honest =)

12. vintage

vintage Well-Known Member

I can only speak from my own experiences:

As a former Christian, I remember that:

A true Christian cannot have any doubt regarding their beliefs. Or else they will risk eternal damnation.

13. oh.... now that answers quite a lot of questions.. thats..... uhh..... wonderful...... lol

no offense to Christian people, but that awfully sounds like 1984...

now i see you say youre a FORMER Christian? why is that if i may ask?

14. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

Like dann said in the other thread, even if God comes down and does a belly shot off of Rosie Odonnell how would we know that what we're seeing is the true God?

Many species in the animal kingdom display this behavior. Are humans related to lions and wolves, also?

15. vintage

Recently I made it through a very dark part of my life recently. Nothing at that time made any sense. I was depressed, my grades were horrible, all my friends had cars, jobs, and girlfriends. I was stubborn, I blamed everything on everyone. I was miserable.

But I pulled through, I worked very hard on my myself for three months and completely changed my life. I took responsibility for everything in my life. No one is going to hand anything to you on a silver platter. You gotta go out and seek out it yourself. I saw the world in a new light. I worked on my myself, everything from body language, to changing my beliefs, social skills, everything you name it.

I gave up Christianity because I felt that I needed to develop myself mentally and psychologically first. At this time I made a lot of progress in my life. And it was because I did it on my own, I commited myself to improve my own lifestyle. With my own sweat and blood, With my own hands I made myself who I'm today. I owe it to psychology.

This may sound a bit arrogant. But how can religion do that all that for me? How can religion change my life drastically like that? No, probably not. Only strong integrity and a desire to improve can carry the day like that.

*edit I also believe one cannot achieve anything in life without a strong self-identity and ultimate purpose. I believe that a strong faith requires psychological development first. If you want good grades you must to have a strong reason for wanting those grades. Only then can you have it.

#75 vintage, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  16. hiake

dann, you should read this book called "American Fascist" over the holiday, it's fascinating the uncanny parallel and resemblance with 1984 :p

"When in doubt, believe."

17. vintage

Lions and wolves do not wage war on their own kind for status, power, and sex. Lions and wolves hunt for food. Chimpanzees are the only animals in the animal kingdom to wage war for the purpose of war. They band in small groups, ambush and outnumber rival male chimps. They are rewarded resources, terroritory, and capture the female chimps to mate with.

18. oh wow.. actually im glad you found something you actually believe in.. im happy for you :)

@ hiake.. do you have it? can i borrow it from you :p

19. hiake

Sorry, can't do... I myself borrowed the book from the library... Me = poor student who can't even afford books...

20. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

Wolves do that also and for the the reason you've stated except for the capturing of the female chimps for sex. Lions however, do. Male lions that don't belong to a group often attacks males within a group, kill them then their cubs and eventually mate with the female and take the territory and with that comes the resources.

Also, I couldn't find any findings or articles that states that chimps capture females for sex. Can you provide a source cause I've never heard of such actions from chimps.