What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. LilSweetAngel

LilSweetAngel Member

the best way is to take classes but if you need to learn it at home you can try watching taiwanese dramas and try to follow along

2. Boys123

Boys123 Member

i learned cantonese off my parents but not manderin though the know how to speak it

3. crash33

crash33 Member

listening to mandarin music and try to sing along with the lyrics in pinyin. I can't get half the songs right, but its fun to try.

4. stunstrike

stunstrike Member

or just watch those educational program of asian TV, XD.

5. Giniro

Giniro Well-Known Member

I think you go sing karaoke only on mandarin songs it help thats the way i learn can speak and people do understand

6. waikitfire

waikitfire Well-Known Member

go sing-k..... is the best way to learn
    but u must spent alot :)

7. hidden dragon

hidden dragon Well-Known Member

its very hard learnin by urself u shuld git a tutor

8. poorme

poorme Member

i agree!!!it's really hard to self-study i think, it's because no one's there to motivate you to learn more and more

9. nicolaisi

nicolaisi Active Member

find a boy or girl friend that speak chinese to u often...:)

10. gni

gni Active Member

chat to ur mando friends

11. linyong

linyong Member

This is a hard question but I think the most effective way is by watching Mandarin TV programs and saying the words out loud. Just like how we used to learn English by saying the words out loud. This is the most effective and cheapest way learning a foreign language I think.

12. Raymo

Raymo Well-Known Member

language can also be improved if you stayed at one place long enough because you can adapt to what they're saying. you can also watch mandarin shows with subtitles, use flash cards, or listen to mandarin music.

13. 花骨朵

花骨朵 Member

i think chatting with chinese people is the best way to learn mandarin at home.

14. Strawbewwy

Strawbewwy New Member

just find mandarin songs that has pinyin lyics from the internet and try to sing along with it while trying to understand what it's saying

15. ImportTuner

ImportTuner Active Member

listen to the pimsleur chinese mp3s. you might be able to find a torrent for them. check your local library, they might have some books on learning chinese. otherwise goto barnes and noble

16. YummyYing

YummyYing Member

Best ways : talk to chinese people, Chinese TV with english on bottom, listen to chinese music, these are like the best ways, Listen and Learn i guess lol

17. ImportTuner

ImportTuner Active Member

yeah, watching chinese music videos with the karaoke, although some people say your accent won't be good that way. but still...people should be able to figure out what you're saying i guess.

18. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Having an one on one private tutor to teach u Mandarin in speaking & listening during a period of time. -shock

19. Melody604

Melody604 Member

I print lyrics that has chinese characters along with pinyin so I can sing a long to it, works quite well actually =) I know how to read a little more and chinese now -clapclap

20. vi3tg0d4n

vi3tg0d4n Active Member

Yeah, like Shinobi I often listen to Chinese music to improve my Chinese. But I think the best way to speak Chinese well is to talk to Chinese people.