What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. HK! Fish

HK! Fish Well-Known Member

I don't have to worry about learning how to speak in Mandarin, cuz my dad also knows Mandarin, so then I mostly speak to him and sometimes to my other family members.

2. teddybear

teddybear Member

Singing Karaoke or watching those boring 'mandarin lessons' dvd.

3. listen to mandarin songs n sing along... but not Jay Chou coz he only mumbles :p

4. gunbound911

gunbound911 Member

online chatting with taiwanese and chinese friends..:p that what i learnt

5. LostOne.TR

LostOne.TR Member

something i find to be useful is to goto many diff websites that say stuff (have a wav file/mp3 file) of some sort. it helps to hear different ways of speaking it. as to most websites just say 'one word' and out of context, the pronounciation can be a bit funny.

6. Jimmo

Jimmo Well-Known Member

Wow what handy tools, since I am a noob here I never seen these tools. Thanks very much for the tools. It will make my mandarin at home better then before :p

7. missyou4ever89

watching Mandarin movies....i think it's the best way to learn mandarin at home

8. blade

blade Member

well for me i jus sat in front of the tv and watch series that spoke mandarin, then i eventually learned how to spoke it. Isnt that crazy?

9. mega_o_mega

mega_o_mega Well-Known Member

i learn it about the same way as blade. first i started off watching Canto movies/series, and after i basically know what the characters are going to say the next time i watch it, i would try to watch it in Mandarin, and listen to how they say it.... i still wouldn't speak it, but at least i can sort of listen and know a bit of what they are saying

10. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

The best way to learn it is from every daily basic speaking of it, watching it, watch madarine movie with chinese subtitle >.< listen to man darine song

11. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

watching manderin movies with subtitles when u can't read chinese haha..and when u read subtitles u're too distracted to listen to them speak manderin

12. vickeemui

vickeemui Member

yeah singing works. or watch mando shows with subtitles. you'll recognize the sounds and then soon be able to pronounce them. ^_^

13. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

^
    Yup, b/c some of their word sounds pretty similar and you can just get those in your head right away

14. kimmimuichi

kimmimuichi Member

Buy "Integrated Chinese level 1 part 1" and the CD as well, it's the best book in the market to learn mandarin. It also has relevant vocabulary and dialogues that university students can relate to. That's why it is the most widely used mandarin textbook in universities.

15. sexmachine

sexmachine Member

drama series are the best teacher and ofcourse, pick the taiwanese production, cause they have the most proper accent

16. warriors

warriors Active Member

watch chinese drama with english subtitles. It helps. I learn malay in this way too

17. altongoh

altongoh Member

watch tv!!!

18. bopper78

bopper78 Member

Practice makes perfect...just gotta speak it

19. sau_sau

sau_sau Member

ive learnt most of mine thru sing k -worship

20. woot

woot Member

yea, me too )