What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. coconutgirl

coconutgirl Member

well, since is for like work and stuff, i would reccomend finding a friend or someone you know who speaks good in mandarin and have conversations with each other in mandarin. And depending which part of china, you might want to remember some names for different stuff. Cuase although u can say some of the things in mandarin from cantonese, depending on where u are, those people might not know what it means. like for example "hot water". if you're just gonna translate that to mandarin, it'll be something like "re suai" but over in like bei jing or shang hai, they use "re kai suai", like "hot open water". I know its weird. sry if it sounds confusing but hope it'll help u

2. aldy78

aldy78 Member

Thanks hkm91450

3. anime4ever

anime4ever Active Member

Learning mandarian

I learn mandarian when I was little by watching chinese tv series in Mandarian.

4. By Listerning, singing

Listening : watch tons of mandarin oriented movie, start with cartoons if you like.
    Sing : Sing your favourite mandarin song with lyrics in front of you, recommend you use mp3 player or CD to do the repeatition.

it sounds simple : you need plenty of home work

5. weedpeach

weedpeach Well-Known Member

watch mandarin movies or series and learn. lol thats how i learn. X]

6. haha i learned all my mando from songs. and my mando actually is understandable too (er... thats subjective but still =P)

7. aiknee

aiknee Member

either work part time at a chinese restaurant or start watching soaps from China.:D

8. korx

korx Well-Known Member

Thanks hkm91450

9. mintygirl

mintygirl Active Member

fun ways to learn mandarin would be to listen to mando music and watch mando series, but if time constraints maybe find a mando friend and speak to them in mando all the time, when you say something wrong or incorrect, ask them to correct you, after all, practice makes perfect. ^^

good luck

10. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

keepin urself occupied wit mandarin stuff all the tym - listen 2 musik, watch like CCTV-9 / Taiwanese channel / PCNE - readin the subs all the tym...to get basic understandin of wat theyre chattin bout =P - n 4 songs - get lyrics n sing 2 em - though i neva do that =P

11. Kablamo

Kablamo Active Member

sing karaoke. you see the words, and you're saying it at the same time.

12. thebestofme

thebestofme Well-Known Member

listen to song while looking at the lyric would do also

13. boypk29

boypk29 Active Member

Here is a little tip for those who knows how to read chinese characters:
    Try to watch more mandarin shows and series...while watching it you can look at the subtitile and understand what they are saying and practice them yourself. For those who can't read chinese, you can watch the shows and series with english subs.
    OR/AND
    Listen to more mandarin songs and sing along with it....if you can read chinese, try to look at the lyrics and then sing along to learn faster.

***Just a little tip from me....'cause that how I learned my mandarin.

14. tamagos2

tamagos2 Member

watch some dramas.that's how I learn..!

15. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

best is to get an electronic dictiionary, take a class if possible and learn he vocab. i found i was bst if you had someone to practice with

16. chickensoup

chickensoup Member

Watch lots of lots of movies and listen to songs.
    After that you need a conversation partner to keep it sharp

17. endo

endo Well-Known Member

karaoke, and watching tv series...and most of all....speaking with someone daily

18. Crimson

Crimson Member

I learn everyday Cantonese by watching TVB series. Besides vocabulary, I learn the modern idioms. Though, it helps to know some Chinese already. I have friends who learned mando just by talking with friends who know mando. I dont know if it's the same with cantonese though.

19. Brian_T23

Brian_T23 Member

watch mandrin movies with english subtitles..
    and listen to mandrin music

20. green8

green8 Well-Known Member

watch more chinese movies, with the subtitles.