What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

goto english.cctv.com you can get streaming video and they have a couple of programs that teach chinese
    if you have dish network you can get on tv

2. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

everypne seems to be learning mando now.. my sis is learning it! i wanna learn now!!! it seems cool to know all diff languages!

3. rickoon

rickoon Well-Known Member

chat with your friends and watch movie with Mandarin in it with subtitles.

4. rickoon

rickoon Well-Known Member

oh yeah, you can take a course in school too.

5. 1980

1980 Member

ez... watch more mandarin drama... hahhaha

6. xxilk

xxilk Member

watch mado tv shows...listen to mando music....i think thats the easiest way to learn a language =D

7. socaialv

socaialv Member

watch drama...try to talk to someone can speak chinese

8. tallgirl888

tallgirl888 Well-Known Member

I find it hard to learn languages...but if you have someone to speak with it really helps...or go visit Chinatown (well, be careful as people have made fun of my Chinese too)

9. I learned it on my own from watching TV. It helps.

10. Fayjai

Fayjai Member

get mandarin friends and speak to them with mandarin so you can utilize it more

11. AZN-511

AZN-511 Well-Known Member

watch mando tv series, watch mando tv series, watch mando tv series, and watch more mando tv series espcially the modern ones. many of the modern mando series shows you typical conversations in mandarin that people have.

12. jen_lee8

jen_lee8 Active Member

you can buy cd rom packages, you can get them online, i brought a set in hk, its quite good, but i dont have time to use it

13. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Best way for listening:
    listen to music in mandarin, watch TV or film in mandarin without subtitles (you'll get the hang of it quite soon, if you already know the language somewhat)
    Best way for speaking:
    well, listen to music and try to do singalongs, serious, I owe half my japanese and french speaking skills there, that's THE BEST way to lose accents, if you have any.
    But beware, if you are working in Beijing, it would be wise to listen to mainland Chinese singers, as Taiwanese have a somewhat different way of speaking, even though both language is mandarin.

A side note:
    if you can read chinese, try go to forums and sites, just like PA here, that is written in Chinese, since films and TV and music cannot give you a real grasp of the spoken language (in the slang and colliqual sense) and the fact that you may not know the slangs affects your listening skills immensely.

14. mayes89

mayes89 Member

yea i agree

15. lynxd

lynxd Well-Known Member

If you know how to read Chinese, I would say watching Taiwan/Mainland China series with subtitles or listening to Mandarin song while looking at the lyrics are really helpful in improving one's mandarin.

16. wingkin

wingkin Member

17. factix

factix New Member

in youtube any videos

18. shnukumz81

shnukumz81 Well-Known Member

I watch tw dramas.

19. adoi_1984_boy

adoi_1984_boy Member

best I would say speak to ur siblings and parents or children! just speak, no problem
    lol

20. arsenal6

arsenal6 Member

ya it hard 2 learn a different language...i assume u speak cantonese? if u do mandarin is just like cantonese only a bit different in pronunciation, I am trying to learn mandarin too try watching mandarin dramas