What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. chrisch83

chrisch83 Member

the Rosetta Stone program works pretty well for learning different languages.

2. misenlai

misenlai Well-Known Member

just do a study abroad or live in taiwan or mainland for like 2 months then u will learn everything u need to learn... lol

3. akira4703

akira4703 Member

I think the only way to really learn is practice. Talk with some chinese friends!

4. jlsv1996

jlsv1996 Member

watch the same movie over and over again with subtitles until you fully understand the movie without having to read the subtitles. practicing with family and taking up a weekend or evening conversational mandarin class can help speed u the process.

5. xam

xam Member

These tools look great. Am going to give it a try.

6. xam

xam Member

Going to give this one a try also.

7. xam

xam Member

This looks like a good site for someone who wants to learn Canto and also as a refresher for someone who does not use or speak Canto often. Thanks.

8. Jocelyn

Jocelyn Member

the best way that i learned it was watchin mando series. If you can read chinese it helps too. That's how i learned mando...watched the tw series and read the subtitles lol

9. hillary

hillary Active Member

yes, I learnt my cantonese by watching TVB series, I guess it would be the same with Mandarin with Taiwanese series.

Perhaps listen to Mandarin songs will help too. and practise make perfect! dont be shy or afraid you may be wrong.

10. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Some of my friend learn mando from singing mando songs xD

11. Xx_Flora_xX

Xx_Flora_xX Well-Known Member

apparently go n take a lang class will do, but u can start by listen to more songs mandarin, it really enhances ur learning of the lang!!!

12. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

For me, it wld be probably watching Mandarin series with subtitles and listening to Mandarin songs. Then get the lyrics of your fav. song in Mandarin together with han yu pin yin and also translated to another language English for example, so u know the meaning of those words. Then you can memorize the lyrics and slowly you recognize the words too.

13. Arctic_fire

Arctic_fire Well-Known Member

easiest way to learn a language is to use it...

get skype, and call chinese ppl

14. ivyjue

ivyjue Member

watch chinese movies ,i think

15. Tassadar2k03

Tassadar2k03 Well-Known Member

i want to learn mandarin does watching series really help

16. aznduo

aznduo Member

ya, the pimsleurs are pretty good, but if u speak canto, u should download the pimsleur canto version for a laugh....the way they say things are pretty funny

17. andyhin

andyhin New Member

i think if u can speak canto then it's easier to learn mando, it's somewhat similar in ways.... i was working wit a few guys who can only speak mando so i had no choice but to learn and addapt. took about 2 months then they could already understand what i was trying to say.... hang around them and dont b afraid to try speak and ask!!!

18. yongxlin

yongxlin Well-Known Member

Try listening to audio CDs in your car while you are driving.

19. leungyiubun

leungyiubun New Member

speak and listen alot

20. ks.ayo

ks.ayo Well-Known Member

^ yeah. general speaking and listening isn't hard really. but if its like a business trip then that might be a problem =O