Which is the 'real' you? online or offline?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by xiaojia, Apr 22, 2007.

?

Which is the real you?

1. Online

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Offline

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Same

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. Online but I prefer the Offline me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Offline but I prefer the Online me

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Dunno/ Doesn't matter

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

@happychic: I wouldn't go as far as say it's faking, just that sometimes you may act differently online because you know there is no enduring consequence (unlike in reality).

@XJ: I think I see what you mean about keeping the thought to yourself. Though I usually don't do that :p That's why I rarely can maintain a "decent" conversation devoid of sex, religion and politics. =_=b

2. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

^ lol.. you mean in reality?

Actually, there is another reason to it. I used to be like you, 'argue' for the sake of an 'arguement'. Or discussion if you wanna put it that way.

But there are also many with fix, narrow mindsets. And it can be quite exasperating explaining thoughts to ppl like them.. And there are also others who dun like to 'argue' for various reasons.. such as 'everyone has their own pt of view, so no pt discussing' (which might be true to a certain extent). Hence, I tend to keep most thoughts to myself nowadays, unless necessary.

hmm.. or maybe those who actually think, are just like me, keeping thoughts to themselves :)
    Honestly, I haven't met anyone like the virtual you in real life, who can give logical arguments and love arguing at the same time. These 2 attributes usually dun come together for ppl I've come across.. sadly.

haha.. true.. it is rather weird isn't it?

3. DuchSauce

DuchSauce Well-Known Member

I'm more serious online, strange but true.

4. hiake

@XJ: -blush I am just argumentative in nature. Seeing that most arguments don't end well (they rarely do, in fact), so threading on the careful water of logic served me well so far.

Being emotional only interfere with further arguments, that's what I have (painfully) learned.

5. xiaojia

That is possible.. but I've seen ur crap.. so I doubt it.. haha.. kidding -lol

Yea.. always avoid getting personal and emotional, sth online allows due to the lack of emotions.. haha. And its true, you rarely get one that blast you and get you so excited you wanna do it again.. haha.

As for the logic part.. true. But not everyone is logical. And logic is also based on the way we think which is influenced by our experiences.. so.. wats logical to you may not be to another.

6. hiake

^ I guess, but there are things that are logical by consensus... the whole "I think..." spells trouble in arguments, because it will always ends up flaming one another personally =_=b

7. xiaojia

You mean this? haha.. kidding..

So what other words to replace? I 'feel' is worse though.. and I 'think' means logic isn't it? I dunno.. do you get the personal when you see 'I think'?

8. hiake

It depends on what follows, because without any further explanation, I "think"/"feel"/or even "know will sound emotional and confrontational no matter what the context is...

But then if it's like "I feel it is justified because... blah blah blah and list on the reasons for that particular feeling" it may be emotional yet logical regardless of the "feel".

9. xiaojia

Yea.. I think you just got that right cos its the justification/ reasons for the thoughts that can/ might convince others and not the thought itself.

Haha.. did I use ur technique right this time?

10. DuchSauce

DuchSauce Well-Known Member

crap? my posts are quality! lol.

The internet makes it easy for the meek to socialize, but if you rely solely on the internet for your socializing, you miss out on human contact and developing people skills. Human interaction involves real-time reaction, body language, emotion.

11. xiaojia

^ yea.. agree. There are just somethings that online can't replace...

#31 xiaojia, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  12. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

That's the old adagio; nowadays we have Voice-over- IP's and combine that with a webcam you've pretty much an interaction like in the daily life, not exactly though. The scientists are also experimenting with a fabric with electronic impulses that you can wrap around yourself and if your partner on the other side of the world is making hugging gestures, you'll be able to feel the cyber translated hugs and touchings. It may not be perfect yet, but so does some centuries ago would have ever thought that we really can clone biological life.
    (I'm sure I'm forgetting something now...)

But through the internet people can meet up with new friends they otherwise wouldn't have know in 'real' life. If you've taken precautions (be selective whom you're calling friends) you can meet new people through the net. I myself have met some friends in the UK and Japan thanks to network communities.

I'm not sure about other countries but In The Netherlands there's a MySpace thing called Hyves, and Hyves often organises parties for their members and people get to know each other in real life at these events.

*yawn* Time for me to sleep now. -sleep

13. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

well aint that sometin between xj and hike in the last few posts...

14. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

15. Knoctur_nal

man spttin the bad ass words now eh

16. semkei

semkei Well-Known Member

the thing on here is ppl getting online is too be not that person most or the other side of them self cos they think they are shy and boring But if ur think u are shy and boring person then just improve with it like telling ur friends about its i mean close friends of course cos they will sure too help u out. Am very online person but some times i can be if am in moodly i will be offline.

17. xiaojia

^ haha.. I get what you mean. Online and offline are like opposites. Offline provides the opportunities for one to be what they are not offline. But hey.. apparently most ppl either are the same off or online, or they dunno/ dun care..

knoc: lol.. that comment was a little puzzling.. dun know whether you really meant 'aint that sometin' or was it typo for 'aint there sometin'..

18. hiake

^ It would be grammatically correct one way or another... "Ain't THAT something" or "Ain't THERE something" (to a certain extent, "Ain't THERE something" is the less grammatically correct one...)

19. Knoctur_nal

ha..u two are crazy...

20. hiake

^ Elaborate what is so SCARY about us... I am a perfectly average person -innocent