Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. qnips

qnips New Member

lolol not all is good in maths, but ya i guess its true in some way

2. warriors

warriors Active Member

Because we chinese learn abacus. Abacus help in mental calculation a lot

3. lilchan92

lilchan92 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt say that because i dont go to a chinese school and im still good at math.
    its everyone in general because in china and stuff they pressure u more into ur studies and over here in america they dont give a crap what u do in school and they dont bother teaching u and making sure u get everything done because all they want is money and so over here they all suck at everything and over there its really good and like for me personal even though i live in the states im still really good at science and math while im ok in english the reading part accually but in history idk about that one im accually really good at history as well and so like our heritage its like in our blood and our parents preesure us and want us to learn the way they do its just in our blood u cant really find a reason for it were just more intelligent then everyone else =)

4. freddybasset

freddybasset Active Member

I guess azns are gud at maths because we are pushed by our parents to study

5. staballemo

staballemo Member

it's a stereotype. and i feel so pressured by it.

6. eurekas

eurekas Member

I agree Chinese good in maths but most of the Nobel Prize winner are from Western Countries.China invent the gun powder and made fireworks, meanwhile western country go and use it make gun :)

7. hem

hem Well-Known Member

it's not really genetic or something. I think it's hard work from kindergarten if not earlier.
    chinese are just into math and everything evolves around math.

8. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

i suk at math x,x

9. RustyDawn

RustyDawn Member

i dont think that's the case
    personally i felt chinese could be good at anything and could survive almost everywhere

10. cOOkiiePOWER

cOOkiiePOWER Member

-nonoactually im not very good at maths.. ill rathe be doing english than maths! ^^ i go pretty well in all my subjects.. the best in english.. but i still annoy maths! and i HATE it!... LOLs! i dun suk at it but im not very good either!

11. seyuripa

seyuripa Active Member

Mainly we noticed that chinese are more stingy, miserly compared to others-sweat

#191 seyuripa, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  12. snoopy8888

snoopy8888 Well-Known Member

because we are tight with money

13. naruto267

naruto267 Member

I think this is only applicable to people born in china or first gen ABCs b/c i know a lot of AA that suck at math. It probable b/c of parents wanting their children to go into well recognized professions like engineering which is treated as a very respectable profession in asia where as in the us engineers really dont get any respect.

14. jallix

jallix Member

math is the only subject that doesnt need much language knowledge, it s also the basic of all the development we achieved until now

15. yingyue

yingyue Member

STRICT PARENTS...
    joke!
    But I took Maths, Chem, Bio and English Lit for my AS's...
    The English Lit was for deffiance....(?)
    lol
    Or the fact that I suck at Chinese school....
    But high expectations...cos my brothers are pretty intelligent...=[

16. unclelooi

unclelooi Well-Known Member

most of chinese really good in maths. i can see that during my school time.

17. tomemiprozac

tomemiprozac Member

that's the biggest generalization i've ever heard. i mean, i'm chinese, but i used to fail math. wait, maybe i'm the exception. but still!

18. micafe

micafe New Member

its ok. i cant even do +-x/ properly.

19. rin

rin Well-Known Member

mental arithmetics is a plus in improving maths. that's why the chinese have been using abacus for ages for the daily routine.

20. imbenson

imbenson Member

back in hk..about 8yrs ago when i was in grade 4. teachers hand back your math tests in the order of their grades, we laughed at kids who got the lowest score. thats why i studied my ass off to stay within top 10...