Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. lovinglyxx

lovinglyxx Well-Known Member

i think it's more chinese who are born in china/hk rathen than chinese born somewhere else (ie, abc, cbc, bbc etc).. cause i SUUUUUUUUUUCK at maths.

but kids in china/hk are taught maths at a very young age anyway

2. champ91

champ91 Well-Known Member

nah, i grew up in Canada and i'm good at math too. it's in the way we think, we think logically and not artsy....

can't remember which side of the brain that is
    ________
    Satria

#202 champ91, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. dawgxmaster

dawgxmaster Well-Known Member

my math is horrible. algebra was great. but once i hit geo and trig. i failed it

4. Adidas

Adidas Well-Known Member

One, because the maths in China is much more advanced.

And two, because majority of Chinese parents push their children to tutor, etc. and the most Chinese parents can't tutor their own kids when it comes to English, so they tutor them Maths.

5. jbaprototype

jbaprototype Well-Known Member

ya math in china and hk is way harder than canada and usa, so bascially when they come to canada/usa the math they do is a review for them

6. sukic

sukic Member

I think it's all to do with the upbringing of the child...
    I'm Chinese but I'm brought up in a western country so my maths is not as good as people who were brought up in China... I sometimes wish I was taught maths in China instead...
    but anyways... I LOVE maths ^^

7. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

i barely uses math in my job...only for measuring and diagnostics. i always suk in science and in math. They both gives me headaches. Tat's y when a car comes in and have electrical problems, ill be the first one to leave, lol. But many ppl told me that electrical is where the money comes from.......... I gotta get use to electrics and lighting systems and not get headaches, lol.

8. kird

kird Active Member

I was ok at maths at school but I've never really liked it. Took History, English Literature and Psychology for my A-levels and doing history at the moment at university. I've always been far more about the humanities subjects than maths and sciences.

9. emawlee28

emawlee28 Well-Known Member

i dono i think its born in them im ABC i suck at math..like i no if i do it alot im going to get gud at it but its going to requre me alot of brain work i think eri asian or person has it in them just need to release it.-tongue2

10. dickson

dickson Well-Known Member

not all chinese r good at maths
    heaps of koreans and japs are heaps good too

11. bbes

bbes Incredible

i think its just more asians in general and the reason they tend to be gd at maths is because asians value money more than caucasions.

12. HuynhDe

HuynhDe Member

Most of Chinese are good at math. That is factual! But it comes from two sources.
    One, Chinese is smart, in general, as other nationalities. Chinese society is one of the four earliest civilized ones on earth.
    Two, most of Chinese are struggling to adapt the competitive environment for surviving, either at their land or at foreign soil.

And one true fact that most of Chinese suffer is that they have to do more than outstanding to be recognized as equal. For example, an asian profession has to be a lot better than a native one to be considered equal. So they have to work a lot harder. And because of that this is main cause drives them to be good.

13. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

ummm i suck at math... am i adopted?

14. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

I also think its down to the upbringing. I've heard lots of chinese parents tend to encourage their kids to be excellent at maths, and cos maths is also important in science, that mite be why alot of chinese do science and engineering here in england. I'm crap at maths though my dad use to literally force me to learn, but i am good at biological science.

15. TVBfan12

TVBfan12 Member

Lol, Im chinese and I'm bad in math. I am so ashamed!! Arghh .

lol..

16. Darkdate0610

Darkdate0610 Member

:D

haha maybe its genes :) :teeth_smile:

17. Darkdate0610

Darkdate0610 Member

im bad at both too :D

18. nikiki

nikiki Well-Known Member

chinese here *wave hands*

i like maths! esp. algebra!

19. serebii

serebii Well-Known Member

i'm not too bad with math, but i HATE it. especially geometric!!

20. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

It's all in the genes and in the environment, everyone around you is good at maths, then you will gradually become good at it.