Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. ernisle

ernisle Member

It's probably because chinese people are said to be born gamblers ;-x haha... kinda makes sense to me at least

2. missdiorcherie

missdiorcherie Well-Known Member

I'm chinese and i hate maths !!!

3. spudsz

spudsz Active Member

I'm horrible at math it was my worst subject and still is :)

4. its not only the chinese.... its just we usually choose jobs that require a lot of calculations and watch this crazyness!

[youtube]EueFhYZ4HxI[/youtube]

5. Xib

Xib Well-Known Member

I olso suck at math.

6. vayha

vayha Well-Known Member

hmmm im not to good ant subjects like english and science and maths are also my strongest subjects...wel from the core subjects anyway. But i have recently been dropping in my science and maths grades. LOL

7. adg

adg Active Member

I´m chinese and i suck at math xD

8. fungus

fungus Member

hahahahaha!! yes i totally AGREE!! because i'm one of ur friend.. i prefer to study maths and science rather than english and history... infact i LOVE LOVE LOVE maths~ <33 ><" now it makes me more CHINESE right!? meh.

9. Ereos

Ereos Well-Known Member

i WAS a genius at maths
    then this teachers was iranian who looked like sadam
    and had a terible accent
    he kept saying DONT BLAME MY ACCENT FOR YOUR FAILURES!
    i was wtf you cant teach all you did was copy out the text book speaking gibberish!
    i didnt learn
    and im not the type who is self-reliant completely.... i learn faster when others are explaining it to me...
    yeah i went downfall in 2 years and gave up maths forever
    but then
    it like in our genes we are born as maths geeks or something

10. goeatc

goeatc Well-Known Member

I'm chinese and math would be my worst subject ! I'm more in the field of science :no:

11. Espresso Bunny

Espresso Bunny Well-Known Member

Are chinese good at sports?

/lock thread.

12. Toilet

Toilet Well-Known Member

i think chinese people are good at adding sums in their head very quickly!
    but when it comes to theorems, us chinese don't have many
    we are mostly studying theorems from french or german mathematicians
    i've only came across one chinese theorem called the chinese remainer theorem
    that made me smile in class :D

13. will4eva7k

will4eva7k Well-Known Member

Since we're living in Australia, parents usually tell me.. and then my brothers to do good in English, Maths, and another language - in my case it was Chinese.

14. ipat

ipat Member

I auctually did a film on this sterotype a few years back with my media group. The reason why asians are soo called "good" in math and science is because asian parents put alot of emphasis on these subjects. Most asian parents want their kids to become doctors or pharmacist therefore they will put them in tutor and so forth. Me myself being asian, i suck at math and science my best subjects come from writing and social studies. I guess im non asians, which doesnt make sense LOL

15. anitram

anitram Active Member

Math and Chinese aren't really related, it really depends on the person. I am good at math and have Chinese blood in me but that doesn't really justify that Chinese are good at math cause I have a brother that is just horrible at math. Math is just like any other subject. If you really enjoy that subject then the effort you put in that subject will be greater and understanding the material will be easier.

16. atsk

atsk Member

excuse me?? I'm a chinese here and i suck at maths!! i used to do well for the past few years.. but my grades are starting to drop.. probably due to laziness hehe.. not all chineses are good in math =p

17. schung23

schung23 Well-Known Member

cause we're bad at english : P

18. maybe we're better at math in western countries cuz we don't like english... T_T (at least, that's me) but haha i think like in HK and China, are ppl still way better at math than language and what not? Well maybe also cuz like science and math offers more jobs? Coming out w/ like a language degree usually mean you have to end up teaching doesn't it?

19. karsun118

karsun118 Well-Known Member

To me I feel it's a cultural thing.

Not to sound racist but here's a rundown of what ethnicities seem to be (in my opinion) good at on a very generic level:

Blacks seem to be very skilled at the physical aspects of life (ie sports or dancing)
    Caucasians seem to be very interested in exploration and discovery of life
    Asians seem to be very focused on the spiritual and intellectual aspects of life

In all, I think cultures value different things and when it comes to being Chinese we value different things.

But really Chinese see value (i.e. wealth and power) in the sciences and math, it is how we feel we will become successful in life. But this is all traditional and later generations I think will move away from this.

20. KaMaN^^v

KaMaN^^v Member

i dont think thats true
    its just that asian people put alot more effort in their homework