Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. instantnoodlesXP

instantnoodlesXP Well-Known Member

I think this rule applies more to the peeps who have been in HK for a while, before immigrating to North AMerica.

2. r74259

r74259 Member

well. there are smart ppl all over the world. not just chinese ppl are good at math

3. noonoo52

noonoo52 New Member

I think that's because the education system is too different in China and the States.

4. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bad at math...not all Chinese are good at math.

5. wallacec

wallacec Active Member

Well, I grew up in China and went to middle school there. The math teacher there would force me to memorize many things about math such as the products from 1 x 1 to 9 x 9 which made me feel abit easy after I came to US and started using them from my head. My ethnicity doesnt make me better in math, its just the way they teach in China that make me a bit better in math than other ethnicity.

6. matethemouse

matethemouse Well-Known Member

Some chinese are good at math so it's them we see most of, just like you never heard about a minor league baseball players only them playing in majors (A. Rod.).
    In China the "good at math"-ppl we see in the highschools and universities but the "bad-at-math"-ppl you don't see because they are inside the China as farmer (or workers)

7. Takashi

Takashi Well-Known Member

it's not just chinese, overall, it's just asians being good at math. Most asian parents typically care about how their children are viewed and they would rather have you study something that involves a lot of thinking and problem solving to seem more intellectual rather than something like history which is just a bunch of memorization.

And also, unlike american schools, asian schools allow their kids to get hit or at least china, korea, and the philippines do.
    I remember when i migrated to america, i'd already memorized the times tables by third grade but when i started the 4th grade here in the US, they were just barely starting on it haha. It's all a difference in culture and education systems. And like I said, the parents play a big part in it. I remember getting smacked the shit out of me for getting an A- instead A or A+ in math so that definitely motivated me to do better hahaha

8. endlessluv42

endlessluv42 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, it could be one of the typical stereotypes. But, I do notice a number of my classmates are interested in careers that deals with numbers.

9. vincentfok888

vincentfok888 Well-Known Member

Math and sciences (Physics, Chemistry, and Bio) are all systematic. Where as English is not. Shakespeare is hard to understand so I buy Coles Notes.

10. funky0563

funky0563 Member

i stiil remember when i was sturdy at primary school , the teacher at chinese school always put their effort to make sure every student to understand every subject they teached and always explain in details every question asked .

11. punk

punk Member

thats wat we do. maths and science.

12. benjihua93

benjihua93 Member

i believe the reason for this is that mathematics is objective and subjects like english are very subjective

13. ynot138

ynot138 Well-Known Member

I'm not too good in math, but my friends in the class are very good.....

14. Wangleehom

Wangleehom Member

It's just like how blacks are more athletic and we're not, it's just the way of life!

15. midnightzt

midnightzt Member

cause they tell us we're bad in ENGLISH:(

16. rjtehz

rjtehz Member

there are always good and bad things :p
    u just have to stick to what ur born with unless ur a real worka holic :p
    excel in ur potential!

17. roarixer

roarixer Well-Known Member

beat into us :D

but I guess you should distinguish those who are good just computationally and those who just can see things that others can't :p