Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. hannah666

hannah666 Well-Known Member

when i was little i was very stupid at math ( like my father would ask what number is greather than 5 and i would guess every number in the world). but not that im in high school i get A's after A's in math and i think that chinese are good at math bc they have the brain cell to remember the chinese character so they must have the brain cell to remember a few equation.

2. minimo

minimo Member

This is very interesting but it is sad to think that if I lived in China, I would probably not get into university because the maths knowledge that I have learnt in England is not advanced enough.

3. kakenx

kakenx Well-Known Member

I love math.. studied calc 1-4 in college.. and Im good at it too lol! But I don't use anything more advanced than "+ - / x" in my daily life lol... in a career that doesn't really need math at all haha!

But I do think that the average asian will always be better at math than any average american lol! I think asians can pick up logical stuff faster than western people.

4. minimo

minimo Member

Yes I totally agree

5. Arisaki

Arisaki Member

I think it's the parents. My parents stressed about grades. I was always good at school till I reached eighth grade and got lazy. I'm not really good in science, I was never really good at it. Math is easy until I took Geometry I don't get it for some reason. >.<

6. pto88

pto88 Well-Known Member

it's a stereotype, chinese people good at math

7. cheung

cheung Member

math in china is more advanced than math here. so kids from china are better at math. math is number language, needs no (rarely no) english. that's why they are better at math. but since i'm not from china lol, it doesn't apply to me. i like and am better at english.

8. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

omg u NERDS!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. sinoaffairs

sinoaffairs Member

1. Culture (in Studies) - The way the normal Chinese kid studies.
    2. Genetics - The average Chinese has a higher IQ than the average American.

10. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

CHinese is better at math is because we emphasize our study in math. I remember when I was little in Hong Kong, the whole class had to recite the multiplication table out loud numerous times B4 the math teacher arrived to class.

11. ckthepilot

ckthepilot Well-Known Member

omg... That is so stereotype because I for one suck at math :p

12. ckthepilot

ckthepilot Well-Known Member

I remember that. I always had problems with 5 x 9, 6 x 9, 7 x 9 dunno why. But the good thing is, I know them now.. teehee -noclue

13. klikeeinc

klikeeinc Well-Known Member

maybe natural instints?

14. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

i think something to do with asian parents, you wouldn't want them to teach you english would you? -ann

i'd rather to do maths but not science

15. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

im chinese, n i aint good ><"...damn - like an outlier in a graph ;P...

16. tamagodaisuki

i know why asian kids who study in asia are good in math - its cause the education system makes them learn math starting when their young. they teach all high students calculus, unlike in US when some students have never taken cal, only trig, or pre-cal

17. tallgirl888

tallgirl888 Well-Known Member

I think this is a stereotype...not all Chinese are good at math!

18. Thisdamngood

Yea, I wasn't that good with Math in HK, but the math in America seems alot easier.

19. zoom_zoom

zoom_zoom Well-Known Member

chinese being good at math is such a sterotype... I'm chinese and I suck at math so bad it's not even funny

20. Thisdamngood

^you must be a ABC