Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. hey me too, but it ONLY works when im under pressure hence the reason why i always leave my work till the last minute. feels like ur cheating sometimes lol

2. jt_skyline

jt_skyline Member

alot of chinese people are good at math and science but that doesn't mean everyone is good, its the same thing with white people tho.

3. endo

endo Well-Known Member

i'm not....i suck at math
    i scored higher on the enlish poriton of the SAT than the math portion...go figure :D (pun intended)

4. davu4eva

davu4eva Well-Known Member

i was in china in yr 1 and came to australia...and i was put in a yr6 class for maths...its all about perserverance and hard work in china...thats the secret really. but now my maths isnt that great cause i play to much games.

5. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

this is a bit stereotyping because not all chinese are good at math

6. ying713

ying713 Member

well.. i m chinese and my english is not good.. but still my maths is not good also .. haha
    but i do Economics and accounting in my university.. still to do with calculation.. but frankly my maths still not good .. haha

7. usdream

usdream New Member

hahaa... true, that's why I said previous, Asians (mostly Chinese) are very good at logic thinking. That's why $ & TIME always go together and they are all about numbers... And numbers are all about logic thinkings and formula, especially formula...

8. ch0ps7ix

ch0ps7ix Well-Known Member

yeah sometimes i try not to laugh when im waiting to talk to the teacher and i hear students asking how they can boost thier grades from an f to a c...... or when i heard student hella happy to get a c.... i feel bad though i dont even try n i do hella well....

9. AsanPride

AsanPride Well-Known Member

i failed math.. haha...

10. ch0ps7ix

ch0ps7ix Well-Known Member

DUDE!! WTF are u talking about ?.... how does being poor and growing fruits and vegetables make you good at math ?

11. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

-noclue

First of all, I don't agree with the above statement. Because it's not like Westerns do not suffered through tough times as peasants and such... What exactly is the difference between Chinese peasants who got calculative and Westerner peasants who just got cheated out of their money? They stupid or something? -huh

I am not sure if I should take offense from that message or take comfort in the retardation displayed in Westerners for their lack of business sense? I think I will go for the former reaction -devil

Practice makes perfect, is that what you mean? Because I just think that Westerners lack a sense of numbers. Some Chinese has a tendency to save up (thus creating additional financial difficulties to be overcame) while most Westerners just spree whatever they have in their pocket...

12. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Chinese and Indians are very good at math. I heard that the reason is that doing/practicing maths doesn't require much, only a pencil and a piece of paper.
    If you do programming, ya need expensive hardware

13. DingLik

DingLik Member

it's all in the genes

14. xhikarux

xhikarux Guest

haha agree chinese ppls' maths is really good. Mines is alright not as good as my friend from china. My spanish friend said that the maths education in china wad CRAZY! IT shocked him. lol

15. carey

carey Active Member

i dont know they're just good with number? :D

16. bell3442

bell3442 Well-Known Member

chinese people arent just good at math naturally and not all chinese people are good at math to begin with.... abc's tend to be less efficent in math then those born in china..but there's a reason for it. in china, math is streesed in schools and homes...but in the states it's different..math is just math..it's a subject that has to be taken in order to pass each grade level....

17. shoij

shoij Active Member

well hk grade 8 math = grade 12 math in north america ... so may be that's why u think chinese ppl are good at math ha..

18. champ91

champ91 Well-Known Member

it's probably because we use our logic side of the brain more instead of the artsy side
    ________
    MARIJUANA VAPORIZER

#78 champ91, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  19. xingjai

xingjai Member

you can call me dumb or whatever, but i just suck at math. i guess math just isnt my thing...

20. davu4eva

davu4eva Well-Known Member

then ur prob good at literacy or Visual Arts...usually if ur not good at logic then ur good with pictures etc...like the left? side of the brain (creative one). numbers+ memory is the other one