Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. kiraexiled

kiraexiled Member

My mom used check my homeworks when i was still young and would cane me for each wrong answers -unsure

2. sû7hi

sû7hi Member

It's genetics! -surr

3. chinesedude421

chinesedude421 Well-Known Member

i think ive read somewhere that its cuz chinese people use chopsticks. cuz moving your hands and having dexterity in the fingers benefit in your math thus sciences. thats why a lot of musicians are usually good in those subjects also.

4. D87L

D87L Member

well i guess everything is related to the brain... i reckon it's more a matter of which part of your brain you use most..
    and i can't go into detail cause i don't know the parts of the brain.. all i know is that it's related to it.. lol..

5. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

What kind of logic is that?

6. peace

peace Active Member

I'm not good and not bad at math. Nevertjeless I like math, even if it depends what things we do like probabilty or statistics (I like it§) but the others we have to see.

7. dsoulreaver

dsoulreaver Member

I'm pretty good in math, took AP Calculus AB when I was a junior in highschool. I'm the only chinese guy there though, all the others were white, one mexican, and two black girls. However, I ABSOLUTELY HATE MATH. (But I'm good in it. =/)

8. linksyskills

linksyskills Member

Being a musician would help a bit with the kind of "logical" thinking, especially if you're into music theory and the logic behind all that jazz.

Being good at cognitive subjects also prevent Alzheimer's, so keep thinking people.

9. dcdc

dcdc Active Member

lol what can i say...i mean i didn't ask to be placed into advanced math classes. the tests says it all

10. Shadowz

Shadowz Member

Chinese parents value education :) And the more math you know, the higher/more technical jobs you can pursue

11. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

I think its just one of these questions that really don't have a logical answer to it...

Its like asking, Why are Asians so good at Table-Tennis, Or do Asians on a whole like playing Computer Games.

Also, in society today there are lots of stereotypes... They see an Asian and think... Wow he/she must be good at maths, Or they must play a lot of computer games

12. sillumjay

sillumjay Well-Known Member

hmmm my maths is ok la o.0 ermmm i think its cos we are stubborn and we refuse to give up kekeke

13. itzd0pey

itzd0pey Well-Known Member

i think it depends on if their parents are strict or not =O, parents that scold their kids for a A- ;(

14. hktvb2001

hktvb2001 Active Member

That will be good.

15. thejephster

thejephster Member

yeah i heard that math a few years ago was literally the most important factor in getting into colleges in china. like if you were good at math, then youre good for life, with a good job, etc

16. Hoodwinker

Hoodwinker New Member

This does seem to be the case, in our school, most people who top the Advance Maths class seem to be asians, but Vietnamese students are pretty good at maths as well. I think its the place they were brought up that affects how good their maths are. For example, my friend and I were born in Australia and both of us, although are Chinese are hopeless at maths and we prefer English more than maths. But yes, majority of Chinese/Asian people are great at maths, which is rather freaky at times.

17. Misa-chan™

Misa-chan™ Well-Known Member

Ahhhh i hate that subject Maths is one of my worst subjects i perfer other subjects

18. lix

lix New Member

I am Chinese but I am weak at Math

19. syema

syema Member

If you compare between North America to Hong Kong, the math they teach in HK in the same grade is more advance than in NA.

20. lix

lix New Member

A few years ago, the full score of Maths was 120 while other subjects were 100 or less, so we had to be good at it.