Why do we have to learn Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Syreeta, Mar 15, 2006.

1. taichi_masta

taichi_masta Well-Known Member

you have to learn chinese to understand those amazing chinese series that you can download from this site

2. axrustyxglove

axrustyxglove Well-Known Member

hhahahha when he say it, its like a threat.

3. Marissa

Marissa Active Member

You must learn chinese because it's very important. You can do a lot of bussines with chinese people. Snap je syreeta haha ? XD

4. XiouYen

XiouYen Member

I love learning Chinese, but so difficult to remember how to write. I can speak but can't read. I think Chinese is good. You guys should study it.

5. donkeyhit

donkeyhit Well-Known Member

chinese slowly is becoming a international language

6. iamadog

iamadog Member

You have to know chinese if you are a chinese. it will be kinda ashamed if you cant even speak your own language. correct me if i am wrong.

7. seraphinxo

seraphinxo Member

i learnt chinese, then quit. i then learned japanese and i found that chinese is pretty helpful in learning jap. therefore you should learn chinese before you learn jap.
    learn chinese so you know what chinese ppl r talking bout

8. keviman1

keviman1 New Member

The more you know the better off you are. But if you're Chinese there's no reason why you shouldn't learn Chinese. I speak Cantonese fluently but am not able to write as well as I speak, so I have a hard time reading Chinese lyrics. :(

9. Raymo

Raymo Well-Known Member

THere is a reason why I would want to learn chinese. I want to go back to Hong Kong and China to find a job later. I can speak cantonese but not mandarin. And reading and writing... it'll be like an Chinese reading an English newspaper... with the expression "huh"? =D

10. momo-chan

momo-chan Member

Unfortunately world power is returning back to the other side of the world...asia...

11. adolka

adolka Member

i have to agree with u 100% china would be an up and coming big market so cantonese and especially mandarin would be very important business wise

12. crash33

crash33 Member

Learning another language in general makes a person more well rounded in society. Its another skill that might come in handy.

13. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

I'm a VBC Viet Born Chinese Can just about speak Cantonese and Viet but can understand fine being trying to learn to speak chinese better but it's abit hard for me cause my family mainly speaks viet to me only my gran speaks chinese to me

14. kit kit

kit kit Member

why? cuz then they will learn more about the culture....and chinies is cool!! lol
    um.....it's just like french....[compare]

15. bokchoyjai

bokchoyjai Member

This is true because Japanese vocabulary is practically borrowed from the Chinese language. And this applies the same to Korean as well, if you ever want to learn it. It would be a plus, meaning that it will be easier for you to learn it, if you had background in either of these Asian languages. And it would be even better if you knew both Mandarin and Cantonese. Let me give you an example:

時間 'time, duration of time'
    Cantonese- [see gahn]
    Japanese- じかん [jikan]
    Korean- 시간 [shigan]

Another example, which I think has the most simliar sound:

圖書館 'Library' : Cantonese [toe shu goon]
    Mandarin- 图书馆 [tu2 shu1 guan3] (numbers indicating tone)
    Japanese- 図書館/としょかん [toshokan]
    Korean- 도서관 [to soh gwan] (please excuse my rominization) -blush

Japanese and Korean has same pronunciations/meanings too.. sometimes
    気分/きぶん [kibun] 'feeling'
    기분 [kibun] 'feeling'
    Cool right? -lol

Think about it this way: if you knew Spanish, it will be easier for you to learn Italian.
    And don't forget China is a developing country. And like what everyone else is saying in this thread, it will become a superpower in the future. Hey, maybe in a few years too. haha. So knowing Chinese will be benefitial, and being bilingual or being capable of speaking more than one language helps you get a job a hell lot easier.

Everyone thinks Chinese is hard to learn because of the complex characters. It is true to an extent, but that's really not the problem. If you think about it, Chinese is also a SVO language. And THERE AREN'T ANY CONJUGATIONS, unlike the Italic langauges (Spanish, French, Italian), where they have more than 5 forms of using the verb "to talk", in its present, future, progressive, subjunctive, etc.

It's best for you to learn Chinese if you are actually Chinese, or of Chinese descent. If your parents force you to learn Chinese, they just want the best for you. haha. But then, if you don't want to learn Chinese, you should have the priviledge to do so. =)

Knowing an extra language won't hurt because you can know what other people are saying (talking about you)! =D

加油!-lol

#35 bokchoyjai, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  16. NIOBE48

NIOBE48 Member

first of all, it is always good to learn another language.
    2. china is taking over the market
    3. can bargain and eat better food
    4. if you are chinese, learning heritage.
    5. become more cultured since china is one of the most oldest histories.

17. koko

koko Member

yea...china might be where the future is coming too......you never know....it always good to learn new languages.....to explore you options.....hehe

18. hello_kitty

hello_kitty Member

Hi, I'm a BBC (British born chinese). when you say 'learn chinese' do u mean the language? or other stuff too e.g the culture (knowing when and why we celebrate some things... that moon cake festival etc). I only understand cantonese on T.V but i cannot speak it very well. I sometimes feel ashamed when a chinese tourest stops me and asks me for directions because i do not understand manderin!! I tried to learn manderin but it is too hard and sounds nothing like cantonese.

So I think we have to learn chinese so we wont feel ashamed if we dont understand something that some one is asking you but everyone asumme you would understand.

19. hello_kitty

hello_kitty Member

oh ya, wont you feel ashamed if you cannot write your own name in chinese ?? or at least for the guys there family name?

20. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

I was born in HK, moved to Uk when I was around 3. Parenst always speak canto to me, but over the years english became my 1st language. Can write/read very limitedly in chinese. Canto is ok (just about understand most things), speaking is below "par". But Im hoping to relearn everything (well speaking most importantly) myself.