Will Cantanese Cease?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by 1mAzn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. gogo

gogo New Member

Yes, I do also believe that mandarin will dominate in not just asia, but also countries that not speak mandarin example in europe. But cantonese will not cease in the future. -worship

2. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

It's good to mandarin...
    I had the chance to learn mandarin and write chinese but I gave up and quite Chinese school >< now i regret cos my main interest is HK entertainment and I can't read so many things...
    I speak Canto, not 100% fluent but probably 90% haha

3. Dao Fu

Dao Fu New Member

cantonese=best
    but i dont mind learning mandarin. As if? pisses me off to even think of parent/ people not speaking canto and just be a "gwai jai" with yellow skin. parents making u drop canto is just stupid. canto =best
    ..hehe..

4. ai0304

ai0304 Active Member

I may speak canonese and mandarin.

5. ai0304

ai0304 Active Member

I don't think so.

6. happychic

happychic Well-Known Member

God I hope Cantonese is not gonna be taken over by Mandarin because I cant speak Mandarin at all - actually can just about speak Cantonese

7. akira4703

akira4703 Member

I dont think canto will ever die... especially in out lifetime. But you know... knowing mandarin too is really useful. Just learn it! lol

8. misenlai

misenlai Well-Known Member

i hope canton is not gona fade. Most my music is in canton.

9. Vinnie_boy

Vinnie_boy Well-Known Member

well i hope canto doesnt fade because i can only speak canto and i would be hell just to learn mand. I cant read either but i swear down when reading the writing is the same for both canto and mand. But i dont know. Hopefully canto wont turn out like hakka and everyone forgets its existence totally.

10. inferno86

inferno86 Member

Canto's going to be a lost language in the next 20-30 years. Mando will rule us all. I speak canto and I will be depressed in 30 years having no one to talk to in canto. >.<

11. Tsunamiix

Tsunamiix Member

Hope it doesn't lol, most people I hang around know at least a bit of canto

12. MarcLo

MarcLo Active Member

NEVER!
    TVB will assure that....lol

( ( ( T V B ) ) )

13. dutchinese

dutchinese Member

it might happen but i don't hope so...

14. theMooffin

theMooffin Active Member

I don't believe that canto will die out but mando will be more convenient if your going around china XD

15. shnukumz81

shnukumz81 Well-Known Member

WORD

I am currently learning Mandarin myself and I don't find it too difficult.
    If you're really fluent in Cantonese, you should be fine with mandarin.

16. lxr

lxr Active Member

I think that knowing both canto and mando is useful because later in life, 75% of the world will know mando and use it for businesses n stuff (and because like.. EVERYTHING is made in china)
    and canto to communicate with friends lol

17. saiko

saiko Well-Known Member

in south america there is a big community of cantoneses maybe 90% and only 10% of mandarin.

it's stupid to think than the cantonese gonna cease!

i wanna learn mandarin because i like the mandarin music too but i have to learn to read and write chinese first!

cantonese 100%

18. chabunky2000

chabunky2000 Well-Known Member

I agreed Mandarin is kind of hard to learn. I took two years of Mandarin back at college, and I am a fluent Cantonese speaker. I can only speak simple Mandarin phrases. If it is too complicated, then I'll say I don't know.

19. AnnieS

AnnieS Active Member

I speak Cantonese all the time, and actually my parents don't let me learn Mandarin. So I just can speak a little Mandarin & write a little bit. I don't think Cantonese will be ceased, since I see in my area, and nearby cities, most Chinese speak Cantonese. I rarely hear Mandarin speakers.

Cantonese is better

20. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

Err, I don't think this would happen in our lifetime at least so we shouldn't have to worry about it. Anyway Mandarin is not too bad if you know cantonese, but the pronunciation of the tones is a bit hard sometimes.