Will we ever be free from sins?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by bbgirlsum, Dec 4, 2009.

1. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

The ideology which most of us may have is that the less sins we have, or if any, the more chance we go to heaven. But should this be true? As a human being, it is difficult to cast away from the 7 deadly sins (lust, gluttony, pride, sloth, greed, wrath and envy) as the temptation at this contemporary society is spread around everywhere.

My point and question is basically the title. Will we ever be free from sins?
    In what point do we cleanse our sins away?

2. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Well to be honest...
    To clear our sins from the aspect of Christianity, you have to go to a confession (where you would confess your sins to the priest). You should be regretful for the actions you have committed and that you'll try your hardest to stay away from these sins again... (That why when people are about to die, they would want to have a confession so that they may enter into "The Kingdom of Heaven")

3. corrected.

4. bbgirlsum

What if those who were sorry and confessed and still deemed to hell or purgatory?

I mean even if we have confessed our sins towards the priest, baptist, reverend etc... Maybe in our minds our sins have been cleared but what if tiny acts that causes sin which we don't realise (say I'm protecting my land from robbers and I hurt or manslaughtered/killed him)? Does that class as a sin if the majority thinks it is not?

5. corrected.

A Christian repents to God alone.

6. bbgirlsum

So only the pope can be used in this context for confessions be told to? As I would of thought preists and reverends were part of the catholic messenger?

7. haaaaaaaaaaaaah

you believe the pope is God? he is a dude like every other.

also reverend is only used once in the bible in reference to God himself, people who apply that title to themselves are misinformed or deluded.

8. bbgirlsum

^ no i dont mean Pope is God.. if a catholic comes to the confession box.. it's the God's messenger in that church takes the message and supposedly pass it onto God

I know you have said before everyone is a messenger to go but everyone has the conception that they have to confess to the person in Church (ie pope, preist etc) in order for their sins to wash away. So what you are trying to say is that people can just pray to God and ask for forgiveness?

9. ^ i duno, im confused now :(

basically biblical Christianity and Roman Catholicism are 2 different things, just like biblical Christianity and Mormonism are 2 different things, as im not catholic i dont really know the inner workings of it. i am simply a Christian.

the messenger thing i told you about has been misunderstood, i did not mean that you take a message and bring it to God (That is not necessary), i said all christians are messengers because they share Gods message (the gospel, the bible).

as i said, you only confess to God, you dont need a man or a box to go into, but in the Roman catholic religion they have their own beliefs which involves confessing to a priest etc.

10. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

...if true repentance is accomplished inside of you, not a single sin will remain...But biblically, our sins are washed away. Because they [people who pray repentance prayers] didn't receive the faith that their sins are washed away, it seems that their sins still remain...And because of those sins, God cannot enter our heart...Your sins are not washed away by laboring to do something well, but...are washed away through the render mercies and lovingkindness of the Lord...since you are human, and you can only commit sins...Sins are washed away when someone dies for them [Jesus Christ]...(verse 7) Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow...salvation is not gained through our efforts. It is accepting into our heart what God has done...

- some hightlights by K from Pastor Ock Soo Park's "David's Repentance"

11. ^ waaa, gu-won pa, culties

this group are a well known cult in korea where their sect originates.

12. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

well, just reading from what they handed to me like i read books, i dont mind in this case. all those different religions/groups are just complicating a simple belief (personal opinion). instead of thinking/worrying whether im sinned/will my sins wash away, i rather look forward

13. from personal experience, if you want a book about Christianity then read the bible, after you know what it says then you can move towards other books as you'll be able to discern what is right and wrong.

but yeah, the gospel is very simple.

14. tiffystars

tiffystars Well-Known Member

hmm..

"Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now as slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."
    John 8:34-36

"When I kept silent, my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
    For day and night,
    your hand was heavy on me;
    my strength was sapped
    as in the heat of summer.

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.
    I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord".
    And You forgave the guilt of my sin.
    Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found;
    surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them.
    You are my hiding-place;
    You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."

Psalm 32:3-7

but yeh as master_g said..."A Christian repents to God alone." yup.

15. dannyngky

dannyngky Well-Known Member

It would be difficult to prevent one self from sin. Sin can happen in either our thoughts, deed, or action. Jesus said that sin occur even when you think about it. Given the current society, is it possible not to sin with our thoughts, let alone action?

16. chek06

chek06 Member

of course, all u have to do, is accept Jesus as yr saviour

17. Shimitsu

Shimitsu New Member

I personally think sin is a part of human nature, and believe that it is impossible to be "free" of sin.

18. gamuza

gamuza Active Member

sins is natural it wil always tease us to give in

19. neofj

neofj Active Member

We are sinners, we were born with it and will live with it till we die but there is a solution which is Jesus Christ who died for our sins so we can be set free from it

20. terry.tan68

terry.tan68 Active Member

Not in these mortal bodies of ours. Humans are imperfect and will always be tempted to sin.