Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. shoij

shoij Active Member

only if they are interested in learning

2. dragong87

dragong87 Well-Known Member

definately! i'll have to make them learn mando even tho i don't speak it.. maybe i'll have to find a sopouse that does XD
    even tho they wont' like it at the start.. in the end its good planning for thier future.. provides more avenues to work/ go to school etc.. in

3. real0st

real0st Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't, but if I got married and had a kid, my mom would definitely make my kid learn chinese. She's stressing on how I don't know enough chinese although I know enough to have short conversations. On the plus side, I can show off that my kid knows mode chinese than most other people I know.

4. That Guy

That Guy Member

of course i would teach my kid chinese...or else he/she will be kind of a black sheep in the family...

5. thanx4nothin

thanx4nothin Active Member

yea. i'd like to teach my kids chinese. but my chinese sucks anyways. lol. maybe i should marry a fob so that i'll get better at chinese. well, i'm not that bad, but i can only read a few words. my understanding is pretty good but my accent when i speak it is really bad. haha. so like some of my friends who just came from taiwan can only speak chinese and when i try to speak in chinese to them, everyone starts laughing and telling me to speak in english. haha

6. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

The sad truth is that FOB doesn't necessary means their Chinese is good... Given the standard of Chinese education in Hong Kong...

7. ckhar

ckhar Well-Known Member

100% absolutely

8. lifetrade

lifetrade Member

I would want my children to at least know enough to communicate with their grandparents. I wouldn't want my parents to feel foreign around their own grandchildren. It also helps to keep some Chinese traditions, especially red packets. :)

9. roxyhawaii

roxyhawaii Active Member

hopefully

10. Ka22

Ka22 Member

I think it's a pity if my kids couldn't communicate with my parents...so I will teach them Chinese

11. kawei

kawei Member

yes, of course i will teach my kids chinese, cantonese and german. i think its quite good for their future. it could be usefull later.

12. piecesofeight

piecesofeight Member

yeah ideallly id want my kids to grow up in a chinese speaking country until 2nd grade! then they wont have to worry about having a hard time learning it in college like me!

13. J-Online

J-Online Member

Hmm i might marry manderin girl...and teach my child cantonese hakka and manderin^^

14. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

I will teach my kids chinese and probably send them to a chinese school.

15. Myer

Myer Well-Known Member

I think I will talk to them in Cantonese. Although when I'm talking with my brother, it's German in over 90% of the cases. -lol

However, to my mind, thoughts and fears about "losing your chinese heritage" etc. might be exaggerated. I mean, there are many Americans whose ancestors originate from Germany or Russia, but they just can speak English. So what? I think many of them live a happy life.

16. ipepsi

ipepsi Well-Known Member

i only speak it and can't read and write. i would like my kids to be able to read and write then it will do them a great deal in the future they can travel to work in china and in the us.

17. babybaby

babybaby Member

Definatley because:-
    1/ keep tradition, so that they can learn about their own tradition
    2/ better careers prospect for future
    3/ China becoming world superpower, therefore chinese will become more important
    4/ Maybe he or she want to learn

18. linderrfulxP

linderrfulxP Well-Known Member

I think that if we don't teach our kids Chinese, they won't be able to talk to their elders and that makes me sad. =\ It'll feel like they're very distant from their family (and their parents). So when I have kids in the future, I'd definitely have them learn Chinese and speak Chinese at home everyday even though I'm an ABC myself. o__o

19. jogii

jogii Member

I would at least teach them SOME Chinese, so they'd be able to communicate with my dad and the other adults in my family. If they wanted to learn to be more fluent, i'd be willing to teach them that too.

20. novazcotiafan

novazcotiafan Active Member

sure, the more multilingual the better.