Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ exactly so you'd want your kids to have a great start to life if only i knew all them languages too -lol

2. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

I will not only teach them cantonese, I will also speak to them in cantonese ^^

3. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

bring them to school for it

4. jen_lee8

jen_lee8 Active Member

i will defenately teach my child everything that i know and then send them to chinese school

5. compliant

compliant Well-Known Member

trick question. I will never even consider dating a non-asian. I'd rather stab myself multiple times and impale myself onto a huge nail than go out with a non-asian.

interesting fact: if (you happen to be) the female talks in a certain language while pregnant, the fetus actually manages to "hear" and interpret these sounds, which helps him or her to recognize language x (which, in this case, is cantonese) more easily. so encourage the woman to talk in cantonese to the kid :p (if you are the woman, then just do what you've been doing)

6. ms-jojo

ms-jojo Well-Known Member

i'd love for my kids to speak Chinese and appreciate the culture! but it'd be kind of hard for me to teach them considering my own is quite... 'meh'. my mom can help though haha. =P

7. ms-jojo

ms-jojo Well-Known Member

yes, i'd try. i love seeing mixed kids speak Chinese because it's so surprising! i'd definitely encourage my kids to learn the language, even if their dad speaks only English. =]

8. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ i agree with ya there ms-jojo why not teach them chinese its going to benefit them in the long run knowing another language. plus i think mixed kids look really pretty actually

9. nestee

nestee Member

ill bring them to chinese school

10. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

it's just hard and weird

being a CBC, my chinese is already warped
    therefore my children would be learning off MY warped chinese?
    sheesh, they will go back to HK and NOBODY will understand them

even though, i know i will end up trying to teach them

11. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

LOl, if I ever have kids I'll probably bring them to my parents so they can babysit while I'm working and hope they can learn some proper Cantonese? But then, they are also the same people who taught me my warped Cantonese...

My parents sometimes are laughing their pants off because I can come up with a totally made up word I'm the only one who's conviced it's an existing Canto word.

Anyway, will certainly raise the kids on a modern Chinese style; with a stress on good education/discipline but no pressure on them and respect for the elders and other people.

12. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Well, a large part of this is that many Chinese are overseas Chinese. If you look at North America, many of today's up and coming generation are at least 2nd or 3rd generation. Their own ability to speak, read, write the Chinese language isn't all that great.

Yes, it would be ideal to pass on the language and culture because otherwise, it would be lost in the following generations; however, we must also question ourselves and think, is it really worth it to teach our children broken Chinese ??

Now, I am NOT saying that every 2nd or 3rd generation born overseas Chinese has crappy Chinese. But my point is that, many 2nd or 3rd generation born overseas Chinese do have a poor grasp of the language. We'd be teaching our children 'incorrect' Chinese.

13. DingDongbb

DingDongbb Member

I'd definitely teach my kids chinese. It is an important part of their hertiage that they must not lose.

14. liltigger23

liltigger23 Well-Known Member

lol if i married a non-asian i think i would still teach them cantonese and mandarin plus put them in schools for it :)
    dating an asian that isn't chinese, i'm still planning on teaching my children chinese haha

i guess i've been brought up that way.. so i find it important to keep the language in the family plus it's advantageous hehe and it's cool to know more than one language

15. ipepsi

ipepsi Well-Known Member

keeping traditions, i learn it wen i was little. mind as well have my lil one's learn it too, so they can talk sh*t behind peoples back muhaaha and understand when chinese people are trying to jipp them wen they are in chinatown buying things..

16. MC RaZaR

MC RaZaR Member

I won't be teaching my children Chinese because mines is horrible. I will probably get my wife or send my children to Chinese school.

17. mayes89

mayes89 Member

yea i agree

18. nrgetik

nrgetik Active Member

lol of course ill teach the canto and maybe some mandarin

19. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

just put ur kids in chinese skool

20. joceyz

joceyz Member

Yes, definately. In fact, I would want my kids to learn Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese (I'm from Shanghai), Spanish, and English. But here's the catch, I would let them study in China for a while, like I had done when I was little, in order to let them pick up the Chinese language; at the same time, they would be spoken to in English and Spanish at home, because I speak both fluently. Well, there's my plan. A bit scary--I know--that I've already planned this out!! Oh, no!