Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jly1981

jly1981 Member

For sure! There is no harm for the kids to be multi-lingual. I have a friend who is Chinese but does not speak a word of it. He sometimes feels left out when we go to karaoke and sing Chinese songs yet he can only sing English, (actually I wouldn't say he can sing ha!). Anyway I think learning another is good and Chinese is a good enough example!

2. serenityjun

serenityjun Active Member

Now, I see a lot of Western people learning Mandarin. See those TV programme in Taiwan, you will see them speaking fluent MAndarin. Really puts a lot of pure Chinese at shame.

3. snoopy8888

snoopy8888 Well-Known Member

they already go to Chinese school

4. missdiorcherie

missdiorcherie Well-Known Member

Of course, i will teach my kids chinese

5. hksar

hksar Active Member

Our course I'll teach them Chinese and I guess English as well...

6. Okiesdokies

Okiesdokies Active Member

I'd teach em to be fluent in both english and speaking canto

7. ddchunlap

ddchunlap Member

Yup i agree with you *thumbs up*

8. lilchan92

lilchan92 Well-Known Member

i think even if i married like a non chinese person i would teach my kids chinese like why waste something like that it would help the kids in the future and it cant harm then in anyway like my cusin i think shes waste this gift she married a korean guy and one speaks canto and the other speaks korean but they dont want to teach their kids the language i think its just a waste like those kids can actually grow up smart and learning those languages can really help them so i would deffinately teach my kids chinese

9. yongxlin

yongxlin Well-Known Member

yes i would teach my kids chinese...but my chinese aren't that good to start with...a lot of times i incorporate my chinese with english words

10. sn00py

sn00py Well-Known Member

Yes, definately. However, chinese is a generic term. There are many dialects which could very well be a different language.

My wife is Shanghainese, I am Chinese Malaysian who happen to understand and speak many chinese dialects (hakka, cantonese, hokien, mandarin) but I compromise and only teach my son how to speak mandarin (the official chinese language)

Most languages learnt are due to the environment. Effective communication at home should be limited to one so they learn it well instead of a rojak language. I speak exclusively chinese with my son and the daycare speak exclusively English. Hopefully, he can pick up some spanish himself since the daycare is bi-lingual.

11. ^ that is cool, i would love to perfect my cantonese and pick up reading and writing at the same time, so when i do have kids i can teach them everything, i have always wanted to learn how to perfectly understand, cantonese, mandarin, Japanese and vietnamese. lol and recently Thai has been added onto my list but i know in no way will i be able to learn them all....... =[

My kids will definitly learn chinese!!

12. dlim

dlim Banned

you only need to look at the number of non-chinese learning mandarin to figure out how important it is for us to teach kids mandarin + whatever dialect you know - to enable them to make it in society in time to come...

13. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

I would love my future kids to learn chinese (both cantonese n mandarin), though i admit my cantonese is only ok and i dnt knw mandarin at all. However, mandarin is starting to filter into schools here in england so hopefully, they'll be able to learn the basics there and maybe extra chinese classes. I'd also like my kids to know about chinese history. I dnt knw alot of chinese history though i often try to read about it. The downside of england is that they dnt really touch upon other's history unless they were involved.

14. axis3

axis3 Active Member

i'll at least tech them to speak canto / mando but can't do much on written chinese as i'm no go myself ha!ha!

15. k3stone

k3stone Member

I'll teach them but I won't force them. I remember being forced to forgo my Sunday mornings for Chinese school and I hated it. Then there was church in the evenings. That was my whole Sunday man! So I ended up resenting my Chinese heritage as a kid because I wanted to play football instead of going to Sunday school. What kid wants to go to school on a Sunday?

But I have a plan to make my kids cherish their Chinese heritage. Feed them heaps of TVB. My love for TVB dramas saved my Canto.

16. anitram

anitram Active Member

Definitely teach them chinese. even though i'm CBC and my chinese is not very good i would at least teach them how to speak and listen and leave the writing and reading to some institution to do that.

17. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye i would teach them to speak it and understand it at the very least.

18. MunMun

MunMun Well-Known Member

I would teach them Chinese and make them go chinese school

19. Vongy

Vongy Active Member

definitely why not? no matter what language i think its important for parents to teach their children their native language - whether it be spanish, chinese, italian, japanese, etc......
    besides what's the harm to learning an extra lang?

20. dmogg29

dmogg29 Active Member

Of course, my Chinese isn't all that good so I would put him in a school to learn the language if I don't improve by then. I remember a Japanese guy coming into my dad's restaurant and all he knew was English. I thought that was sad.