Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. space_kandie

space_kandie Active Member

yes definately, i'd prefer if they can write and read too ><

2. hiromagi

hiromagi Guest

yes of course! i'm kinda sad that i can't read or write chinese that well :(

3. ssleepyz

ssleepyz Member

yup i rather teach my kid chinese rather to the fact that he may become curious of his true language since im chui chow. id teach my kid chui chow then canto then mandarin haha

4. andrienne

andrienne Member

yes...i am proud in being a chinese and i want my kids to be proud to be chinese and know things about chinese, language wise and culture wise. i think it's important to do so to maintain and pass on the chinese culture to the next generation (sounds so holy eh XD )

5. an0nymous

an0nymous Well-Known Member

i wont personally teach them but i will jsut speak it at home so they can pick it up, that is how i learned chinese when i was younger.

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

It breaks my heart but all three of my kids speak Chinese like they're American tourists. And I tried... oh did I try... The best they can to is order har gow or cha seal bow... <sob>

Ralph

7. ^ that really sucks......>__< ABC's are getting way out there...... =[ i think the best way is to teach them chinese FIRST, and have them learn english as a second language and continue to exclusively talk to them in chinese when they are home and everytime they speak back in english tell them to say it in chinese or you will choose to not understand them lol XD

8. trangra

trangra New Member

i think it's really important to teach children their native language and culture.

9. Suiko

Suiko Well-Known Member

ys i would teach my kid chinese. But i think i will teach english first.

10. bbes

bbes Incredible

just use both that way, at least they will understand u in chinese and be able to speak which is very useful.

11. ogbaka

ogbaka Well-Known Member

i would teach chinese and english at the same time...

12. kat_zoe

kat_zoe Active Member

I think its a must but however it is quite hard. Once you are born in america the thinking is different. In my opinion however learning chinese is a must because they will be the next super power.

13. guoshyang

guoshyang Member

When i become a parent later... i will send my children to learn Chinese ... it's so important Mandarin nowadays due the overwelming economy growth in China. Everyone now aiming China as a next business destination now.

14. schung23

schung23 Well-Known Member

totally dude!

15. KaMaN^^v

KaMaN^^v Member

yes cantonese =)

16. KaMaN^^v

KaMaN^^v Member

and some manderin could be handy too =p

17. shizukaao

shizukaao Member

they will learn mandarin even though i only know cantonese...

18. eTOo

eTOo Member

But... chinese characters are many and hard to learn especially for young kids...

19. i plan on teaching them how to speak and put them into chinese school, but this is a different generation now, i wont be surprised if they dont pick it up!!!

20. kk100

kk100 Member

noooooooooooo! because it is so boring