Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kenlee

kenlee Well-Known Member

as from coming from a very traditional chinese family i hate the fact that my niece and nethpew know so liitle chinese. Funny thing is that their dad does not know how to speak any english.

Yes i would teach my kid chinese not only to cause i want them to keep our heritage, but also because China is becoming such a huge market it would give them a upper hand if they do decide later on to work there.

2. my dad's american so i grew up only speaking english. i started taking chinese classes in college. i wish my mom would have taught me growing up. because of that, i plan to teach my kids chinese.

3. ghostsxy

ghostsxy Well-Known Member

i was born and raised in canada as a chinese but growing up most of my friends were from hong kong so i speak mostly cantonese, so my english is horrible now lol

4. M.K. Sun

M.K. Sun Member

yes, of course, we must appreciate our language and culture

5. annimone

annimone Member

definitely, why not?

6. jochelle

jochelle Member

definitely...chinese/mandarin is getting more common in the society now...

7. pigki520

pigki520 Member

yes i would.. even if i marry other kind of asian but not chinese guy... i still want to teach my kids chinese too :)

8. cheungy8

cheungy8 Active Member

defo gonna tach my kis chinese, espcially hakka. hate to see our language and tradtions die with new generations.

9. csw9023

csw9023 New Member

of course.I think it's a little sad when I see Chinese who only speak English, like they lost a part of their heritage.

10. laitang2000

laitang2000 New Member

i'll would never want my kids to learn hakka mainly because it sounds too rowdy! especially when the older lot are speaking it

11. boldy

boldy New Member

yes i will

Yes i will, but its in what kind of enviroment they r in that makes a big difference, which effects at the rate of learnig

12. wendesigns

wendesigns Member

ofcourse....

it does depend on my knowledge of the language which is acually pretty poor. hehehe..

13. r74259

r74259 Member

yes i will

14. R0ok13

R0ok13 Member

I'll teach my children chinese, it's our native language and I want my children to understand their grandparents.

15. cry_babi

cry_babi Member

I'm an ABC, but no matter what i will definitely teach my children Chinese.
    Chinese is my favorite language! ^_^

16. jlim01

jlim01 Member

def teach them chinese, gotta keep the family line intact. I dont want my kids to be some kids dont dont kno nothin bout their culture

17. wizama

wizama Member

If I have children, I will try to teach them chinese. At least they can talk to my parents.

18. dlai8679

dlai8679 New Member

u cant call urself asian...if u dunt teach ur kid chinese....

19. yiubun

yiubun Well-Known Member

Hell yeah...
    my parents never made me do chinese
    but i've done it for 10+ yrs

and I hope that my children will be fluent with both chinese and english.

20. chebs

chebs Member

yeah, sure, it can't hurt to know an extra language or two. I hope they'll speak it better than me anyway!