Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. CharismaLee

CharismaLee Well-Known Member

definately would not only is it part of their heritage but also they need to know the language for later on in life as it will become the most spoken language in the world

2. dot

dot Well-Known Member

i wud luv to teach my kids chinese someday.. but seeing as how im so crappy at it... i wonder how i can teach them... o_O

3. krazyaznboi

krazyaznboi Well-Known Member

definitely...i would marry a chinese girl and raise a chinese family

4. lynxd

lynxd Well-Known Member

lol funny how i was talking to a friend about this too and i told him that my bf has to be able to speak chinese really well as one of the criteria..

since i was little, i was told that it's disgraceful if you're chinese and you can't speak your own language.. that's why if i have kids, whether they like it or not, they're going to chinese school to study chinese and learn more about their culture & traditions xP

5. machwnor

machwnor Well-Known Member

i am chinese therefore when i have children in the future, they have to speak chinese...dun want them to lose the heritage

6. larlarlar

larlarlar Well-Known Member

Does that include, how to read, write, speak and listen in chinese? I could teach them how to speak and such, but if they don't have any interest in reading or writing I don't think I'd force them to learn it.

7. mysty

mysty Member

Uh... Probably those who wanted to force their kids on taking chinese are kinda the worst parents. I was forced to take chinese. I understand the pain being forced to study a language that you don't even want to know.

What I'll suggest is that start teaching them from small, not with an utterly strict attitude toward your kid. I'll only can say what you did to them will only grows into hatred toward that particular language, like I do. But fortunately since I liked manga I continued on liking a bit about it, sometimes so much though. But if you asked me do I like it? No. Not at all.

So my answer is as what some of these people said, I'll teach them when they're small with basic chinese and when they're old enough to make decision, I'll let them choose whether or not they want to take their chinese level further. But of course, I would like them to be able to understand mandarin...

8. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

if i didn't, my parents/aunts/uncles/everyone else would.

like i have a choice.

9. PearlC

PearlC Active Member

yea definitely - send them to chinese school!!! lol my parents did it to me and now i can speak, read and write it

10. Crimson

Crimson Member

I'll definitely encourage my kids to learn Chinese. Not only is it beneficial, its part of their heritage.

11. compliant

compliant Well-Known Member

forcing to learn does not a terrible parent make. some parents just can't think of alternatives. I mean, for me, when I was learning cantonese, my parents would usually go for the kung fu stuff because the vocabulary would almost always be top notch (classical/literary). thanks to chinese subtitles, we'd just look at those and try to obtain meaning from what they were saying.

well, for me, learning mandarin was the most boring part of the week, sitting through three hours of it, and not daring to talk because of my cantonese accent slash sounding like a complete fool. I didn't want to learn it, because there was no point in learning a language that no one else I knew spoke. but now, I like learning it because of exposure to cpop. I knew that most of the cpop that I liked was taiwanese stuff, and since taiwan speaks mandarin, it'd be a good way to work on my vocab. and so now I also watch those taiwanese variety shows on youtube, where they have chinese subtitles, and I just mentally comprehend the words using cantonese first, then associating the word with a mandarin pronunciation.

12. larlarlar

larlarlar Well-Known Member

Some kids will just fool around at chinese school, or end up skipping it, like me lol and now I don't know how to read or write yay. But even if I tried I would only know the basics.

13. phatster

phatster Active Member

I definitely want to teach my kids mandarin/chinese because as chinese, it's a shame and a great cultural loss if one can't speak/read/write in chinese.

When I first moved to USA couple of years back, I was pretty disgusted with chinese parents who would not allow their kids to speak Mandarin. Geez, living in a foreign country doesn't mean you should just blend in 100%. I think all the more we have to preserve our heritage.
    My bf's nieces and nephews are a disgrace IMO, freaking they used to go for chinese classes till they were 14 years old but they refused to speak Mandarin and they can't even read. They can speak Cantonese a little but Mandarin, they don't even understand.

Furthermore, heh, it's wise to teach mandarin/chinese to our kids now especially with the Chinese market. :D

14. jell

jell Active Member

my whole family and my extended family believe that I'll end up marrying some white man. and I don't doubt I will, but I'll absolutely have to teach my kids how to speak cantonese. it's pitiful when a chinese person loses ground with where they came from.

15. martinj

martinj Guest

Of course, thats on the basis that I will be living in HK =]

16. uchihaman

uchihaman Member

yup..i will definately teach my kids chinese. my parents will kill me if i dont

17. korx

korx Well-Known Member

yup chinese is a must.

18. stylin2abyss

stylin2abyss Member

since i suck at chinese... ive planned to marry a girl who can speak cantonese =p mwhaha >=D and of course have my kids learn =p im trying... its juss gonan take awhile =p plus i get intimidated to speak to fluent people =\

19. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

lol this rely reminds me of sme relatives i no...they say they dnt know any chinese ppls in around where they live - bt they cant speak chinese like their parents...they dnt even know their own chinese names lmao...which is why i tease em evrytime they cme ova lol

20. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

bt yea - teachin chinese as the main language- then get them 2 learn other langs - or ill kill em if they don't lmao