Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. lucemi

lucemi Member

my kids r the 3th generation in holland,but still need to learn chinese,cos they may not forget,they r chinese!!!!

2. dimon

dimon Active Member

for sure, i find it kinda sad for not knowing your own mother tongue language. And i'm proud to know my chinese. I do not know how to write, feel kinda depress on that at times.

3. sweetyam

sweetyam Member

I'll teach them everything, from the bamboo stick to reading and writing.

4. John88

John88 Active Member

For sure I will teach my kids chinese since I'm Chinese but on top of that, english and french since I'm from Quebec. But one thing I'll definitely do is send them to chinese school since I can't read nor write.

5. tinlunlau

tinlunlau Well-Known Member

I'm a Chinese born and raised in Toronto and I can read & speak Chinese. (Yes, I can even speak Mandarin).
    So obviously, with myself kept into consideration, I will teach them not only to speak but to read Chinese as well.

6. koolguy24

koolguy24 Member

I'm an ABC, who speaks Cantonese due to my parents. I probably will teach my kids how to speak Cantonese, especially since my parents don't speak that much English. Though as I grew up only speaking Cantonese with my parents, but speaking English with everyone, including my siblings, I probably will send them to Chinese school lol, both a better and lazy method on passing it on.

7. chrizxtt

chrizxtt Member

definitely will teach them our chinese mother tongue...

8. Benson

Benson Member

DEfinitely

chinese is the lanugage of the future...with it...u need it to do business, have friends, meet customers, get clients, get around the world etc

9. yashi09

yashi09 Active Member

totally

10. alfalfa

alfalfa New Member

Chinese is one of the most important language in the world now, definitely it will be a good idea to teach the kids Chinese when they are young, Spanish can be another option, I believe.

11. fiveam

fiveam Active Member

Definitely without a doubt.

Just looking at my friends, I definitely feel blessed that I know another language (my own language). Even though, we're from the same background, their parents never forced them to use chinese in the house and now they can't even order fried rice at the restaurant.

But it's not just the language, it's your entire heritage that you begin to lose if you can't even at the very least understand the language nevermind speak it.

Chinese schools are now popping up even in the suburbs, so there really is no reason why kids can't learn their own language.

12. Chryse

Chryse New Member

i don't wanna force my kids to learn chinese but its always good to know their background and their culture

13. logic123

logic123 Active Member

I have two girls and we're teaching the Chinese way.....

14. Physica

Physica Well-Known Member

i'm dutch so it is not a problem to learn to speak English or Dutch and it is not impossible to teach them german and france either....

So for sure i'm going to teach him/her how to speak chinese :D it for a child a advantage in the world to learn that much languages :D

15. Physica

Physica Well-Known Member

Children will get bored at school it is better to buy a karaoke set and let them sing/learn to speak chinese and prolly to read :D....

16. michew9o

michew9o Member

yep. they better know the language well or they'll get shipped to china to live with relatives :D

if i ever change my mind about having any.

17. kukumon

kukumon Member

Yes of course. It is very important that the next generation knows the culture. In fact, I am teaching my kids chinese right now.

18. z1llch

z1llch Member

its a must to teach! how else are we chinese =)

19. gottabekin

gottabekin Member

Sure I will teach them chinese. You want them to be chinese don't you?

20. octobersky07

octobersky07 New Member

Of course, it's always nice to know another language. Especially one spoken by so many people!