Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. cynthia choy

cynthia choy Guest

Of course! China will rule the world one day and it would be good to know Chinese!

2. Angelgirl109

Angelgirl109 New Member

Yes! I don't want white-washed kids!

3. simplicityo9

simplicityo9 Member

yes yes, it's always good to know another language!!!

4. Soraiya

Soraiya New Member

Mandarins useful, but I just can't bear learning it, its almost like saying swear words in cantonese at times.

Would definitely pass cantonese down the line ;)

5. Reddiver

Reddiver Guest

My kids speak perfect Cantonese and Mandarin (thanks to the TVB's cartoons) but make them read and write Chinese is another story.

6. mean_girl28

mean_girl28 Member

i would really like to teach my kids chinese. because they will live in an english speaking country but i still want them to know their backround and their culture

7. hunbun914

hunbun914 Member

oh for sure!
    I would appreciate even if they could only speak and ideally read chinese, like myself.

8. ping0321

ping0321 Member

of course, in my opinion, Chinese people should know Chinese....

9. fookzster

fookzster Member

I speak to my kids only in Chinese and no English. They will learn in school.

10. andyl

andyl Member

i speak to my kids in cantonese although its not all that great... so far they are still replying to me in chinese.. but that wont continue once they get older unfortunatley

11. yellowtrash

yellowtrash Member

being ABC myself, i'll try to enroll them in the same chinese school I went to when I was young. I doubt they will learn enough to be fluent these days.

12. peterwhite2016

peterwhite2016 New Member

Learning Chinese can be a lot of benefit.

13. Jetronic

Jetronic Member

Definitely! But first, I need to work on mine, or else my kids will have better Chinese than me :( haha

14. disordered_li

disordered_li Member

I was having this conversation with my friend the other day who is pregnant, told her it'll be a waste if she didnt teach him and it'll be better for the kids when he's older. I had friends at uni who were tryin to learn chinese when they were were about 20. Not that it can't happen. It's just they had to put more effort into learning something they cud have done when they were younger.
    Also, I REad in the papers the other day that there is going to be a cartoon on tele teaching kids basic mandarin. Should be interesting to see if it catches on with the kids. Haha!

15. Kduong722

Kduong722 Active Member

I regret I didn't

16. huniiiiii

huniiiiii Well-Known Member

Definitely! A lot of my cousins only speak English and its a shame because they cant communicate with the older generations.