Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. eason41

eason41 Well-Known Member

The real question is: will you teach them chinese before english or vice versa, or at

the same time.........

2. chin3zeboi

chin3zeboi Member

100% i will want to to pass down the chinese language and because i dont speak english that well and chinese is more dominate language.

3. scarletpassionfruit

scarletpassionfruit New Member

i know i definitely will send my kids to chinese school and teach them chinese -- they need to recognize this part of their heritage!

4. qpower

qpower Well-Known Member

Definitely take them to Chinese class or teach them personally.
    What will define them as chinese if they do not know the language?

5. yea agree with q there.. and it'd be hard if your aren't using Chinese as much and only teach be able to teach them very lil..

6. cyrus

cyrus Well-Known Member

Of course....Chinese is going to be (or already is) the 2nd International language (i would say, somehow its more important than Eng) in the world.......the Chinese language is essential in this world

7. nicole

nicole Well-Known Member

Yes if I had kids definetly would teach them some Chinese.

8. gamer123

gamer123 Well-Known Member

I would teach them the best I know of, since I moved to Canada. Perhaps send them to Chinese school.

9. kamikrazy123

kamikrazy123 Member

i'd have them go to chinese school up til they're around 13 or 14 years old..then its up to them to continue or not
    i'd have them at least know how to speak and communicate in chinese as for the writing/reading its up to them to learn it because i personally cant read/write chinese only speak
    i took chinese school until i was 13 then i just stopped since i wasnt really learning..it just wouldnt get into my head lol

10. Totte

Totte Active Member

My kids are definately gonna learn swedish, english, chinese and maybe japanese.

11. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on that point - knowing the language is the solid definition for being Chinese. One person can act, dress, look, eat food, be informed about being Chinese (culturally informed) - but if they are unable to express anything verbally, they're basically NOT Chinese.

12. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

I'll teach my kids Mandarin and Cantonese. As for other dialects; there are just too many different dialects in Chinese language. And I don't know all of them!

13. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

i'll make them watch hk movies that's how i learned cantonese

14. arsenal6

arsenal6 Member

i would definitely teach my kids chinese...

15. melroseddl1

melroseddl1 Well-Known Member

Of course i will. Teaching ur children chinese will defintely be useful because they can easily be credit as a bi-langual. and in today schools, most school will make kids take languages, so they can become tri- langual. It would indeed pump up a resimate do u think. Like if ur a boss of a company, who would u pick? A tri-lingual asian, or a bi langual american?

16. kagome10

kagome10 Well-Known Member

Definitely. I think you should try and hold onto your roots.

17. ctsport

ctsport Member

definitely, I plan on teaching my kids to read/write chinese and speak canton and mandarin.. and maybe a little french too -noclue

18. smokedhen

smokedhen Well-Known Member

you should teach them chinese. there's no point in forcing yourself to only marry chinese girls in order to teach chinese to your kids. that's a excessive in trying to preserve your culture. you can do it other ways.

19. cakl

cakl Member

definitely!

I am proud XD

20. jnetcube5

jnetcube5 Well-Known Member

definitely yes!