Will you teach your kids Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by the_alphabetman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ML320X5

ML320X5 Member

Of course, I'll. It's really useful when u can speak dual languages

2. RFD

RFD Member

sure,I agreed

3. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef Well-Known Member

So the most important thing for all of us here right now is to keep practicing our Chinese by speaking it whenever we can, try not speaking English at home, and to practice learning how to read & write Chinese.

Start simple with things that interest you first, eg reading gossip magazine, copying down KTV lyrics and asking your parents / significant other to translate / teach you each word; as you become proficient you can even make it a goal to read one article in the Chinese newspaper every week.

I started years ago by getting a copy of the menus at all my favorite Chinese restaurants, then looking up every single word I didn't know in the Chinese / English dictionary. You'd be amazed at what you're missing out if you actually could read the Chinese only items on the menus...

4. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef Well-Known Member

Oh and it never hurts to date a native Chinese speaker....that definitely helps....a walking dictionary hehe =P

5. Desperado23

Desperado23 Member

definitely, China will become a world power soon!

6. iamadog

iamadog Member

of courese, I would. It would be very embarassed if we cant speak our own language.

7. SanGai

SanGai Well-Known Member

If I ever have kids, I'd definitely teach them Cantonese.

8. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

The questions should be, CAN YOU or ARE YOU ABLE to teach your kids chinese! LOL

9. chow7

chow7 Member

of course i will teach my kids Chinese...
    it's because i don't want them to follow my foot step for having trouble to understand chinese

10. yosupman

yosupman Member

i 'll probably talk to them at home but up to them to actually know how to speak chinese or not

11. Littleboy85

Littleboy85 New Member

of course i will teach my kids Chinese (Cantonese)

12. auboy

auboy Member

of coz i will.....

13. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

yes of course it is best for them

14. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

just think if they know Chinese and English they can do almost anything and be a key resource for both top economies

15. Vinnie_boy

Vinnie_boy Well-Known Member

Id want my kids to learn english, canto, mandarin, hakka, japanese and a language of their choice!

16. orange123

orange123 Well-Known Member

of course, Besides chinese will be good for their business skill in the future.

17. lerster

lerster Member

yea if my wife was also chinese then i guess
    if not maybe both lanuages
    or ill just say fuk it

18. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

Of cos.. I love Chinese. My family speaks Chinese at home too..

19. wongie

wongie Active Member

Oh! God! Yes!

I would definitely teach my kids my native language. Its a must..!I'm a BBC myself so I know how it feels to be stuck in between two different cultures. My mum put me in Chinese school so I was forced to read and write Chinese. I hated her for it but if it wasn't for her my Chinese wouldn't be as well spoken.

I have a lot of friends who are bbc and they can't speak Cantonese at all, and to be honest in my opinion thats kinda embrassing.

20. rayn18

rayn18 Well-Known Member

Yes, I would teach my kids Chinese. There is no harm in learning more than one language. I would like my kids to study in China when they're younger so they can pick up the language better.