Wishing Stairs - 여고과담 3: 여우계단 [2003]

Discussion in 'Movies Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

[​IMG]

Directed by Yun Jae-yeon
    Produced by Lee Chun-yeon

Starring
    Song Ji-hyo
    Park Han-byul
    Jo An-ah

Plot summary
    The legend goes that if you climb the twenty eight steps leading up to the school dormitory, counting each step aloud, and find a twenty ninth, a spirit will appear and grant you a wish.

The movie takes place in a girl's art school and focuses on two friends studying ballet, however their friendship soon turns sour when they find themselves competing for a single spot in a Russian ballet school. Yun Jin-seong played by Sung Ji Hyo, remembering the old legend of the "Wishing Stairs" wishes for a place in the prestigious ballet school, and in a shocking turn of events, she gets it, at the cost of her best friend, Kim So-hee's life. However, it's only when the extremely odd character of Eom Hye-ju wishes the dead girl back, that an unspeakable evil is released.

The film itself seems to mirror the ballet "Giselle", which girls in the film are studying, as well as drawing upon the classic short story "The Monkey's Paw". So-hie as Giselle. Jin-sung as Albrecht. Jin-sung betrays So-hee, which in turn leads to So-hee being crippled and commits suicide after her friend Jin-sung confesses she has hated her all along. When So-hee's spirit is wished back, Jin-sung is haunted by So-hee's ghost, and in the end forgiven.However Jin-sung died in the end because So-hee didn't want to keep waiting for her. The film, however has a very different outcome than that of the ballet.

[credits to wikipedia]

...it was a bit scary n did creep me out at some parts but some parts did confuse me o_O
    overall....i enjoyed this film

#1 Phoenix, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008