Would You Ever Give Up Foreign Citizenship to be Fully Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Sep 7, 2008.

?

Public Vote - Attn Overseas Chinese: If given a choice would you renounce your overseas country's ci

1. Yes, I already have.

4.5%
  2. Yes, I plan to do so.

13.6%
  3. No, but I've been thinking about it.

20.5%
  4. No, and I don't plan on it either.

29.5%
  5. No, what are you, crazy?

31.8%
  1. magicguitar

magicguitar Well-Known Member

Nicely said dude..if there's a invasion on the motherland at this moment I would be there in a heart beep,,I'll swim over if I have to. LOL

There are people here who loves to boast about how great the West is and how much the West cares about human life, maybe they should reflect that both of the WORLD WARS were started by western countries where millions of people were killed as a result. The art of aerial bombing where tons of bombs were dropped by planes on urban cities almost indiscriminately were also invented by Western countries. Also Weapons Of Mass Destruction aka nuclear bombs were also invented by the caring West for the benefit of humanity.

And as for their assertion that the West cares about civilians, well maybe they should put that question to the millions of North Vietnamese people who were bombed almost daily throughout the Vietnam war, especially to those Vietnamese civilians who suffered terribly when the planes generously dropped tons of Agent Orange on them. Many Vietnamese kids were born deformed with extra limbs etc as a result.

No matter what these people say about us Chinese, China is our homeland, and for most Chinese our loyalty lies there; we didn't stole it from some native people and committed genocide on them and nearly wiped them out from the face of the earth!!

Lastly, to those people...please stop the "West is better" than the "non West" nonsense, because at the end of the day NO human group can claim they are better than another. Humans regardless of race or ethncity are capable of good deeds as well as the most terrible misdeeds! history is testament to that fact!! So please get off that high horse of yours!

2. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

I am partially Vietnamese and yes, the Vietnam war was horrible .. but then again, that's the first war that the US lost in history too despite their advanced tech at the time.

West ain't better but you can't deny that they do offer a better living comparing to your motherland .. why do people leave their own countries to build their family and home else where. With race aside, i think as a regular citizen, we should protect our home and family .. motherland means nothing to me .. i am mixed .. korean, filipino, vietnamese .. i don't fit into anywhere anyway.

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

You folks should read up on the history of the 442nd Infantry Regiment.

If anything, I would fight and die for the Chinese people just to get rid of the CCP.

As for:

Cough... <tibet> cough... LOL... :laugh:

OR... Let's put it another way...

How many here would have the moral courage to speak up or defend another country against China, if that country is being victimized or bullied by China, despite the fact that you yourself being ethnic Chinese?

4. crazy_man206

crazy_man206 Well-Known Member

your logic is flawed. citizenship does not define identity. any views overseas Chinese have are not fake if they have citizenship at another country.

in fact, that kind of assumption makes no sense at all.

5. crazy_man206

well said. is ralphrepo even Chinese??

6. crazy_man206

[FONT=&quot]% of confidence for Hu Jin Tao[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]China - 94%[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hong Kong - 94%[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Macau - 92%[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: World Public Opinion[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Chinese support their leader and government. your vaunted pride in the mere fact there is an opening for change doesnt mean anything to people who are confident in their leaders anyway.
    [/FONT]

7. PopEye

PopEye Member

we don't really know if he is Chinese or not, and I don't really care; probably no one does. But some forumers has branded him as a "self hating white ass kisser". And whenever he starts loosing a debate he would whine, saying the topic does not belong in the Chinese forum. Then he would cut/paste the phrase "self hating white ass kisser" all over the thread(s) [his dodgy way of existing a loosing debate] and cries about it, blaming people for discrminating against him LMAO!!! Just watch, he might even cut/paste it onto this thread.

8. ralphrepo

When you use words, you should take responsibility for them. As for losing (not loosing) a debate, that's rather subjective isn't it? If the debate runs off the track into other inane topics, then why bother discussing it?

Again, everyone here is OK about defending China when it is abused or victimized by the west; but what about the other way around? Who here is willing to stand up to the PRC government if it is in the wrong?

Or, is the PRC government NEVER wrong?

9. krazyaznboi

krazyaznboi Well-Known Member

Lets put it in another way. Are you always there to defend western civilization when it is being abused or victimized by other civilizations? What if they are the one being the bullies? Will you still be ok with there actions or will you condemn them like how you constantly condemn the CCP?

No government is always right, everyone has their fallacies

10. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

yes the PRC is NEVER wrong :p

no... the problem I have is when western society tries to justify what right and wrong is based on western philosophy... then they push it on to the eastern world, and blow it up in the media...

for example, it's all right to criticize China for "abusing" workers in sweatshops... then the western world turns a blind eye when they buy all that shit from Walmart...

11. ralphrepo

There in lies the rub isn't it? Am I a truly moral person that defends the underdog against all tyrants regardless of stripe, or do I only do so for favored causes? Am I still OK with western actions if I condemn the CCP for doing the same thing? Of course not. Wrong is wrong.

But wrong against the Chinese people is what I find especially painful because I'm Chinese. If I were black, white (what others here are fond of accusing me of, LOL, or other Asian) I would still find the actions wrong but not be as emotionally involved with it.

If someone was beating up your brother, of course one would feel compelled to help one's brother. But if one's brother is beating the shit out of someone, what should one do? Does morality go out the window for ethnic solidarity sake? Should cultural or racial lines define or abrogate morality?

It's easy to stand up for Chinese people, especially in a Chinese forum. But can anyone stand up for right versus wrong, even if it goes against one's race and culture?

There are those here who obviously are in the camp of, "...as long as China wins, I don't give a shit who gets hurt." I just don't happen to be one of them, as I believe that Chinese people can be better than that.

Further, if you reviewed all of my threads and responses here, you'll find that my biggest nail being pounded on is the CCP; how it represses the Chinese people. If you want to rail on about how the US Republican party pulled the wool over America and robbed the election, fine, I'm all for that too. But since this is a China forum, would it be right to discuss that here? If it would make people happy that I'm being just as critical about US (or Japanese, Korean, Israeli, etc) misdeeds and to prove to them that I'm not just singling out China, I'll start posting items like that here. But then please don't tell me that I'm being off topic.

You know, one of my biggest pet peeves has been the US clothing industrys' Pacific possessions gambit, where (amongst others) Chinese women are deceived into thinking that they will be brought to the US to work. Not just Walmart, but name brand items like Liz Claiborne, The Gap, Anne Taylor, and Ralph Lauren, et al, are being produced in the US Marianas Islands with big political guns for hire helping them. See this link: http://www.msmagazine.com/spring2006/paradise_full.asp

Many of these young women have been forced to turn to prostitution in order to make ends meet.

And I'm also very angry about Hong Kong manufacturers who have shift plant operations into Guangzhou, where they can now hire 16 year old girls at a fraction of the cost, with no safety inspections. This has already resulted in more than one tragedy where workers have been killed because of either fire or equipment malfunction.

And don't even get me started on Indian rugs...

Now, how would I know this shit right off the top of my head unless I cared about it?

#32 ralphrepo, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  12. krazyaznboi

krazyaznboi Well-Known Member

it is understandable to defend brethren right away, but in this case, no one clearly knows who or what is the instigator. It can be the factory story, it can be Rebiya Kadeer, or the racial tension is just too much and a riot just occur. The scenario is just too ambiguous and the CCP deployed troops to and tried retain peace. Both sides are clearly at fault here.

I don't think it's easy to stand up for Chinese people. I find it rather difficult since western media mainly bias against the faults of China and people seem to follow along. I, for one, am trying to stay neutral of the cause. I try to stray away from protecting my own brethren or condemning them for their actions. I don't think either sides are right in this cause, for anyone participating in the riots are just evenly guilty of committing murders and disrupting peace.

Yes, I can clearly see/read most of your reviews are against the CCP and I wanna stand firm that I am not trying to condemn you of your view, but to clarify that China is not the biggest enemy of the world. I'm also not trying to intentionally bring the Western society in, because clearly, they are also in as much fault with their affairs with Afghanistan or the IRA in Ireland. Most likely what I'm trying to say is not to be too absorb in posted medias because they sometimes tend to be bias despite their own nation's fault.

13. ralphrepo

Well, you're talking to someone who's actually marched on Washington in his younger days. But I'm too old and the gout flareups are just too many for me to walk any more, LOL...

Seriously, bad governance is bad. So in a Chinese dedicated forum, who or what is discussed? Mugabe and Zimbabwe; or the tainted milk scandal and what the government knew? I agree that China isn't the biggest enemy of the world (it isn't even the worst of them). But again, this is a China forum, where (according to the rules) one can Discuss about the Chinese Culture, Politics, Current Issues, Past Issues, etc.

LOL... So, ain't I been doing that?

14. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

My main nationality is British citizen...
    But coz my parents are from HK, they always take me back to there for holidays before each 3 year gap finishes so that I could get residency.. thing is tho, does that mean i am a citizen in HK too coz i hold the SmartCard (HK ID card for adults)???
    But personally i would only go and live in HK when i am a lot older liek in my middle ages coz tbh i don't liek the weather in HK much coz it's too humid and i prefer the lifestyle in UK too..

Also judging by the article on OP, i think people would only renounce their citizenship for China because it is recognised by the whole world and may want to claim to be part of the country because of the upcoming Olympics...

15. crazy_man206

Chinese criticize the CCP A LOT. they are mad even now about the Uighur riots because they are preventing Han Chinese from retaliating.

if you are Chinese, you are white washed and VERY out of touch among the current young Chinese.

#36 crazy_man206, Jul 8, 2009
  16. ralphrepo

So you're saying that to be "Chinese" one has to allow the Han Chinese to go teach those Uigher a lesson, eh? That really says a lot. You may consider me out of touch amongst current young Chinese; but if you're advocating a revenge blood bath, then you're out of your mind.

White washed? (this sort of reminds me of blacks who can't stand when other blacks talk normal, deriding them for sounding white) Keeping the peace, preventing injury and saving lives is not being white washed, it's being reasonable. You know I'm not Chinese? With your attitude, I certainly hope you're not.

17. crazy_man206

LOL your reading and comprehension fails as well.

i used the example of preventing revenge as one of the things angry Han Chinese are CRITICAL OF THE CCP ABOUT. they are also mad about all the benefits minorities get. being exempt from the one child policy for example.

seriously come on......wasnt that hard to understand.

i do consider you out of touch. you dont seem to know anything about the younger generations. you say stupid things like

"Again, everyone here is OK about defending China when it is abused or victimized by the west; but what about the other way around? Who here is willing to stand up to the PRC government if it is in the wrong?

Or, is the PRC government NEVER wrong?"

yet have NO IDEA of Chinese youth.

#38 crazy_man206, Jul 8, 2009
  18. ralphrepo

It seems to me that you're more interested in providing insults than answers. The way the you characterize opinions that you don't like as:

"i do consider you out of touch. you dont seem to know anything about the younger generations. you say stupid things like..."

So, what should I say to that? Well, frankly I consider you to be rude and insulting. If you were at least interested in providing any real answers instead of personal attacks, you would already be telling us your opinion of how Chinese youth think, instead of just telling me how little I know of it. If you want to continue to have an academic discussion, then fine. But if all you're going to do is hurl invectives and belittling comments, then I won't bother wasting my time responding.

19. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

he's just jealous and wants to outsmart you...
    everything other people says he calls it stupid as i have realised...