Your parents inability to speak, read, write English or your Countries language.

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by Natsu, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

I was thinking of whether to put this in Chinese chat or in the rant section but it occur to me that it might be more suitable in the rant section as there are those who might actually by annoyed by this. Its not a rant from me, as it doesn't bother me but to others it might be troublesome. Like you're doing something like studying, playing computer games, watching TV or something and then your parents ask you how to spell English words or ask you to read their letters. Also they have been living in your country where the language is predominantly English or in fact t they dont speak the country you are living language and yet they dont go and learn??

For example, my mum works with English people and she always converse with them in English but its only ok-ish level, but she always ask me for how to spell even the simplest words and sometimes gets me to read her letters, but thats really rare.

Are there those who are annoyed by this?

2. person

person Well-Known Member

Nah sometimes I find it frustrating that my Cantonese isn't good enough to explain to them.
    Sure you might think, hey you're in an English speaking country, go learn yourself. But that's a little selfish.
    One of the reason why they won't go learn is probably because they feel they don't have the time. It can be difficult for them now as well since they're older.
    Of course when I'm stressed, I feel a little annoyed when I have to help them, but I try not to feel that way, cause they help me with... basically everything when I can't do it. That's why if they need help, I'm willing to be there, because they're my parents.
    Any child who feels it's an absolute nuissance to help their own parents, needs a good smack in the face.

3. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

yeah it's very annoying particularly if you're concentrating on something.My mum asks me 'the meaning of whatever word' mostly for french words,rarely our country language,Creole...Still,Creole is kinda the same as French
    I always tell her and try not to complain because i was always constantly bothering her when she was watching drama series in Mandarin language,lol

4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

even though it is annoying and stuff...i just say that im not good at explaining things and tell them to ask my brother

but still..not everyone has the opportunity to learn english as immigrants come here to work and make money. And it is hard for older people to learn a hard language like english as they are used to chinese their whole life. I am sure everyone wants to learn english but it isn't as easy as it seems.

5. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

yeah,you're right,i've been learning English language in school since i was 6 but i still have some minor problems in grammar.
    *asking myself how good or how bad is my oral English*

6. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

dooooooood teach me Creole! -smart

7. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

haha,it's an ugly language derived from french...

8. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

edited.

#8 rsx, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

How badly deviated is creole from french?

I think it's highly dependent if english is really a necessity even if you migrated to a place that is predominantly english. Let's say a person rarely goes out and usually hangs around the same ethnicity, so i doubt they would be motivated to learn. Also, as others have mentioned before, the ability to learn a new language is not as easy as it could be if one is younger. Guess there's a social aspect to it also, imagine how parents must be feeling having to go to english classes mingled with younger ppl, which might be a bit harsh on their egos if they've been successful prior to migrating to a new country.

10. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

Yes it is very annoying... but that is coz my dad always ask... then i always end up in an argument with him
    however, im a very hot headed and selfish person coz my parents made me do things which i never wanted to do (like any other kids) but they went ot the extreme *sigh* but funny thign is my dad has been in england for over 25+ years you would expect him to know most of the English language by now but no he's always too lazy to learn
    Hence why i have peace now coz he goes and ask my little sister coz i never bother helping him.. i know that is mean though that's why i try and make up for him by working for him and let him rest a lil...

11. bbgirlsum

so want to have a dad like yours then :p

12. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

Lucky one you are. I've always envied my friends who had English-speaking parents: it would seem like my friends don't have to deal with anything at all, in terms of helping out the family, asides from maybe helping the pops lift a newly-acquired sofa into the house or pick up some vegetables at the local grocery for the mom because she's cooking, or something NORMAL like that. I mean, they actually have most, if not all, of their time to themselves.

In addition to illiterate (might as well call it that) parents, how many of you have illiterate RELATIVES who come to YOU for your translating services because they have no one else to depend on? I have these two aunts who just LOVES to drop by occasionally and dump their troubles on me: "I received this letter in the mail a week ago and I think it's from the IRS, what's it saying?" or "I received my credit card statement and they charged me a late fee of $30 because I paid ONE day late! Can you call them for me and tell them that I didn't pay in time because I received the statement late?"

13. acnlg

acnlg Member

I have that issue also. I get annoyed when they keep asking me to explain something about english. It is not the fact that they do not know it that so annoys me. It is the fact that they don't make any attempt to learn themselves. For example, a few years ago my dad wanted to play mahjong (among other things) on the computer. Instead of trying to figure it himself, he asked me. I wrote down the information, I bought books in Chinese on how to use the computer, I even installed a Chinese version of window (which was quite incredible, since I can't read Chinese and based it on intuition). But still he was not able to learn. Only now, after peer pressure and the fact he sees more of a benefit to using the computer to surf the net, has he learned it better. My parents' approach is the same way with english, just laziness. It's that laziness that annoys me. I think also because they surround themselves with many things in chinese (newspaper, tv, friends) it only reinforces their lazy attitudes. I would hope they would change. But after 30 some odd years, I doubt it will happen.

14. xmichelly

xmichelly Well-Known Member

^ hahaha definitely, there've been lots of times when i actually skipped school cus i had to go to court or something to "represent" my relatives

my dad's english is ok but he never really helps to translate anything. important things always go through my mom i think.

my mom's always asking me to translate stuff and do things for her on the internet, tv, etc. if i'm busy or in a bad mood i'll be annoyed, but otherwise i don't mind helping out

besides, sometimes i like the fact that my parents can't really speak english cus i can get away with things =D

15. person

person Well-Known Member

Does that mean you're giving me the green light to smack you in the face? :D

Yeah, of course when I'm busy with school and all I find it a nuisance that they have to bother me, but they want to learn as well. Cause I'm close with my parents, I'm willing to spare a few seconds from my work/studying to explain to them what something means. I do it all the time when they're watching movies I don't understand.
    If it means keeping the peace at home, I'm willing to help.

Ah, it would be nice if my parents were a little more fluent in English, or would be even better if I was more fluent in Cantonese.

16. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

LOL, that use to be my job until i passed it on to my sister XD

well that is when i am extreamly busy.

17. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

your relatives are triads or run a dodgy business or something?? :D j/k hehe

my dad for all these years he lived in England hasnt bothered to learn English although he can communicate in basic English. my mum on the other hand did go to College many years ago and actually studied English. think it was called English First Certificate or something and passed it. so thats good :D she only ask me for spelling or to check her email if there are any mistakes before submitting them and thats it, dont bother me because its really rare.

18. bbgirlsum

yay!! my mum's the same!! why is it always the dad who doesn't bother >.<

19. -steffi-

-steffi- Well-Known Member

i get annoyed when i'm having a bad day or when my mom has asked me that same word more than twice...but most of the time its quite funny because she can't say the word correctly or when she confuses stuff like calender and Canada...haha
    xx

20. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

This is what happens when we take our parents for granted, <sigh>

LOL... what a self centered dirt bag comment. You know what? I bet your folks would have been a lot better off living in Mao's wonderland, turning earth over, while you, their only child, is walking around with a red white and blue plasticized rip stop bag strapped to your back, going from factory to factory, begging for a 10 cent an hour job to make disposable nonsense for the Americans. That way they would never have to worry about being able to speak, read or write in a language that they barely understand. And poor you, being born of such fools for parents, to have given up so much of their lives in hopes of providing a better westernized life for their child, but only received an ungrateful lump of a turnip in return. -rolleyes

Here's a great solution for you and you'll never have to worry over this problem again; pack up and move to China. -noclue

#20 ralphrepo, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009