Your parents inability to speak, read, write English or your Countries language.

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by Natsu, Apr 13, 2009.

1. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

i only found a small vid where they speak Creole and contains english subtitles...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByEdDY145w&feature=related

It's a sad video...

You're lucky English is the speaking language in your country and you can get away with things :p

2. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

I knew someone was eventually going to play the high moral card and post something like this. Honestly, I can say that this is a fucked up subject to talk about and I even feel guilty venting it, but nonetheless, it is still a legitimate subject to rant about in the Rant Forum. I think most of us understand (at least I hope so) that they are doing everything in our best interest, but that doesn't hide the fact that we are getting stressed/annoyed by it.

Ralph, we don't know how well your parents speak English or if you were even involved in something ilke this, so would you mind telling us YOUR experiences in this topic (if you've been through it) instead of lecturing us about how ungrateful we are?

3. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

@ ralph....ya turnip line reminds me of the line my mammi sometimes says...'saan ga char sui
    ho gor saan nei' [give birth to a char sui is better than you]....hahaha...

ummm my rents have both been in uk long enough and can speak/read/write engrish pretty
    good...they have a slight chin accent when they speak it but thas about it....and yesh they
    sometimes ask me to translate a word here and there....i just feel bad when i dunno how to
    explain/define the word in chin for them -____-"

4. Dun annoy mee...
    It's like how would u feel if u didnt kno something or wanted to double check what something is in Chinese was and ur parents went proper stressy or something? ^^

5. fotmo

fotmo Member

its annoys the crap out of me!!!that my mom has been living in NYC for 40 years and can't speak a word of English for her life

6. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

My parents can speak/understand/write good english. The occoasaional time they need my help is when writing very formal letters OR when they ask me to teach my sister a difficult word. It can get frustrating getting my litle sister to understand though :D. Overall, I don't get that annoyed because if it weren't for my parents deciding to move to Australia, I would be living in HK or Macau (nothing against it) but maybe not as many oppourtunities as I have here, then if I lived there.

7. xiaozhuzhu

xiaozhuzhu Active Member

Sometimes I do find it annoying but many of our parents at their age and with their generation thinking, they dun really feel a need to learn...

8. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

How have they lived at the start of their immigration when they don't know a word of the speaking language??

9. intraland

intraland Well-Known Member

i always wondered, how would your parents get through all those years of income tax reports without knowing english? do they hire an accountant every year to do that for them?

anyway, i don't have a problem with my parents' english skills, if it's enough for them to get by, then OK.

10. You ingrateful SOB.. how can you even post something like this??

11. davo2097

davo2097 Active Member

I dont mind helping them with stuff like reading their letters and explaining (its cute when mum ask lol) but sometimes its sad that they have been in a english speaking country for over 25 years (longer then their kids) and still have trouble understanding.... just puzzling.

12. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

put it this way ....... you live in english country born and raised for 20 somthin years meaning your english is excellent but your chinese is only speaking wise and not able to read/write...then you go live in hk or china for the rest of your life and start a family.... you have english speaking friends and speak english unless you have to speak chinese.... after 20 years do you think you will be able to learn how to read and write chinese??

in usa/canada you can get by knowing little english as there are many chinese people around and communities as well as shopping malls and everything..basicaly a chinese city in a english city